Bites! Advice? Also would lanisosh help?

Aimee4311

Reaction score
Hey y'all!

My LO has her bottom 2 teeth, and she's bitten me twice while nursing and drawn blood. Owwwee! It hurts! I'm wondering if anyone has used Lanishosh cream on their nipples for the same thing?

She's bitten a few more times, but not too hard. I'm trying to teach her not to, but it normally happens if she is at all distracted.

Any tips on teaching her to stop biting? So far I have been making a loud, sharp "Shhh!" noise (idk I that makes sense to y'all!) then removing her from the breast and coming back to feeding a while later.

Not looking forward to more teeth, especially those top ones!

If you watch her mouth carefully, you'll notice a difference in her approach indicating whether she's going to nurse or bite-- it's impossible to do both. I offered the breast with my hand on it and if he was about to bite (indicated by his tongue position- further back in his mouth than when nursing) I quickly moved my breast out of reach and he would bite nothing but air. I did that at each feed for a couple days and he caught on that it wasn't happening, but I think he was more cooperative about giving up biting than a lot of other babies.
I think the sshhh or 'ow' or other reactionary noises mostly do one of two things: 1) turn it into a game because they get an interesting reaction when they do it or 2) scare them into a nursing strike. Non-reaction and re-direction (by offering a cold washcloth or teether) with a calm explanation ("You can't bite Mommy, but you can bite x, y, or z") is the most effective way to stop biting. My son started it when he got his two lower ones and then started again after learning not to when he got his three upper teeth, so it's an ongoing lesson in manners.
I used lanolin during both bouts, as he had teeth scraping problems while nursing, too, and it felt better from it, so I would guess it would help your pain as well.
Good luck, they can take a piece out of you if you're not paying attention.

Thank you for the advice! I think I'll try what you suggested when offering the breast. I like the idea of her biting air, I think it would help her learn that biting is not ok.

Next time, (if there is a next time, hopefully not!) I'll try and not give any sound, just removal and redirection.

Thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->