Biting!

neadyda

Reaction score
Yesterday when I picked up Jamie from school, his supply teacher came up to me and told me that 'unfortunately Jamie has been bitten...on his face! It happened just before going home time so we couldn't 'punish' the boy (as in give him time out) but we will do it tomorrow'
I asked Jamie what happened once we left the school and he said 'M bit me and it hurts' his face was red (still is!) by this point I'm fuming! How dare someone bite my boy! Provoked or not you don't bite! I've brought Jamie up not to hit, kick etc... But I think I need to teach him that if someone is hurting you you DO have the right to defend yourself!!!

I spoke to both my mum and my dad and they said two different this about it.

My dad: I think you are expecting to much of 4/5 year olds regarding biting, they are only children. Yes it's not nice to see your child hurt but it's one of those things.

My mum (she works with 4/5 year olds): in our school biting is considered very serious and usually the head teacher gets involved and has meetings with both sets or parents. Biting is what animals do and if this child pierced Jamie's skin it could scar/got infected. If you was to bite someone in the street you would be arrested for assault.

Jamie's dad and I went to see his actual teacher today and asked her if she was aware of the incident. She said yes and that they spoke to parent(s) yesterday. She said she will keep on eye on the situation. (Not the first time this boy has hurt Jamie, he seems to single him out) Told her it was still red this morning and showed her. she did genuinely seem concerned.

I just wanna know if I'm over reacting by being so angry?! I've told Jamie to stay away from M in the future.

It upsets me seeing him with a bite mark on his face, it also looks like this kids has dragged his teeth on his skin too. It's just under his eye. I keep thinking omg what if he went higher!!!

No you're not overreacting at all, I would be fuming too, especially since you said this isn't the first time this "M" kid has hurt your son. Seems like the situation is getting worse and not better.
I agree with your mom's response, and I kind of have to wonder what would make a kid this age bite your son. Maybe there are some sort of issues at home? A 4-5 yr old should know better.

You definitely have a right to be angry about that. 4/5 year olds should not be biting, they should be well over that stage by now. Charlie bit a few people at nursery some years ago (he was 18 months old) and it was horrendous being the mum of a biter, but we dealt with it way back then and he has never bitten anyone since. I would be horrified if he bit someone now! The school is doing the right thing by speaking to the parents and I don't think there's much else you can do except what you're doing and telling your boy to stay away from 'M' :( I really hope it stops and you can get it sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->