Bleeding after baby...worrying!

ParisJeTadore

Mum to my beautiful kids!
Reaction score
I tried postnatal support but didn't get much response so thought I'd try in here...

I had my baby 8 days ago and my bleeding has been pretty normal. Not too heavy, pinky red and watery the last couple days. Yesterday I did a lot around the house (cleaning, cooking, baking) and lifted my 27 lbs two year old and rocked him standing up for nap time. Afterwards I went to nurse my newborn and felt lots of gushing blood, ran to the bathroom and a whole load of blood poured into the toilet. I freaked a little then went to my bedroom to lie down. That night I still had increased bleeding but not enough to fill a pad an hour. Through out the night it got lighter and as of this morning was dark red,stringy but not a lot.

Since 1030am I have had NO blood (it's 4pm). Not when I pee, not when I breast feed, nothing. Is this normal to suddenly have nothing? I am so scared it's going to come back with a vengeance and I am going to be gushing blood. I am having a lot of anxiety over this and don't know what to do. I talked to a health nurse but she didn't seem overly concerned and just said to keep an eye on it.

My PP bleeding was very inconsistent and lasted about 2 weeks maybe a little longer. I had very very heavy days when I was particularly active where I was changing my maternity pad every hour and I had really light days where I thought 'phew it's over' only then to have a heavy day the day after.

If you are feeling OK otherwise not light headed, excessively crampy, feverish or clammy then it sounds normal to me.

Sounds just like mine. Thought it had stopped and then I would get gushes and it would look like I slit my throat over the toilet bowl. Midwife said it was fine and it especially happens when you do too much (and you most def sound like you did too much!). Mine was inconsistent for a couple of weeks.

It is really normal for it to increase when you've done a lot- a lot of people say it is our bodies way of telling us to slow down. It is a good sign that it slowed down again and hopefully it will ease off now. But if you are worried I'd talk to your MW again, maybe ask her to check your iron levels just to reassure you there isn't anyting concerning going on? Definitely no harm in being cautious!

Thank you for your replies ladies. Glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this! Definitely think I over did it a couple days ago so have slowed down and won't be picking up my son any time soon as much as I want to. My flow has been pretty inconsistent since...it will slow down completely, stop, then restart several hours later. Oh the joys of postpartum recovery! This is my least favourite part out of the whole process :wacko:

I had some huge gushes that left me feeling lightheaded (not at the sight of blood, but at the loss if it). I had scans done that revealed some leftover placenta. I was finally given a pill to insert vaginally that was supposed to help clear everything out. It was really scary as each time I spoke to a doctor or nurse, they would say, "OK, if you start bleeding A LOT, call 911. Don't drive the hospital. You won't make it." After a few days it stopped completely, and then I started my period two weeks later (even though I was exclusively breastfeeding). It's hard to know what "a lot" of blood is because it can look like so much. It kept happening to me in the shower or on the toilet, so I couldn't judge the "fill a pad per hour" rule. Good luck--and don't hesitate to call a MW/Dr. if each time you're worried. Bleeding can be really serious =/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->