Bleeding at almost 18 weeks

skris4

Reaction score
I had a doc appt today and she did a routine Pap smear on me. She commented afterwards that there was fresh blood in that area and sure enough I started bleeding afterwards . My doc has asked me to be on bed rest for the next two weeks . She said my cervix was closed but soft . I had mild bleeding until late evening and it has since stopped . I am really stressed and concerned and having worrisome thoughts about delivering now :cry::cry:. Has anyone experienced somethis similar ? Please share and please keep me in your prayers

Hi, skris4. So sorry you're experiencing this worrying issue. Did she say whether the blood had been there before the pap, or if she caused it by doing the procedure? Blood flow, especially to the cervix and uterus, is drastically increased during pregnancy. This causes things in that area to be much more sensitive and likely to bleed when examined, prodded, etc. I think it's likely she nicked something down there and it caused the bleeding. Which isn't a problem at all, and won't cause any issues in your pregnancy.

Also, I have bled during the early 2nd trimester in 2 out of my 3 pregnancies (so far not in this one but we'll see). They've never been able to find a reason for it, but it's always gone away on its own after a few days. Good luck, and I hope it goes away and doesn't come back for you!

I'm very curious as to why they did a pap while you're pregnant? I had high grade dysplasia and underwent cryo the month before I got pregnant. I should've had a follow up pap six months later but my doc waited until the baby was born. Why mess with cervix during pregnancy? They don't really treat anything until the baby is born anyway... I'm sorry you're now going through issues.

Is your doc going to schedule an ultrasound? When is your next cervix check? Keep yourself parked on the bed/couch and keep us updated. I had spotting randomly from 12 to 31 weeks. They chalked it up to sensitive cervix. I was freaked out most of the pregnancy.

When I was pregnant with our son, I bled after the doctor checked me to see how much I was dilated. I can't remember how far along I was, it must have been later in pregnancy. But it scared me and I waited to talk to the dr. It did subside quickly and eventually stopped but freaked me out.

I'm really curious why they would do a smear while your pregnant? Hope your ok x

They did a pap on me too around 7 weeks. It did cause some spotting for a day.

I had a small amount of spotting after an internal exam, which the doctor told me to expect. I only had them have a look at my cervix as I checked it when me and my husband had an oops moment around ovulation, and I thought I felt a small spot in the area and it was playing on my mind and I didn't want to prod around the area myself.
When she did the internal she said there was a small amount of blood on the speculum, which was normal, and I had a couple of spots later that day. I checked with my epu and they said that bleeding can be caused by examinations, but they always like to check out any bleeding anyway. I went to my local emergency gynaecology ward and they checked me over and did a quick scan and all was great.
I'd say for your own peace of mind you should get another opinion and get checked over, it's not worth the extra worry.
I hope all is ok xxxxxx

Hi, skris4. So sorry you're experiencing this worrying issue. Did she say whether the blood had been there before the pap, or if she caused it by doing the procedure? Blood flow, especially to the cervix and uterus, is drastically increased during pregnancy. This causes things in that area to be much more sensitive and likely to bleed when examined, prodded, etc. I think it's likely she nicked something down there and it caused the bleeding. Which isn't a problem at all, and won't cause any issues in your pregnancy.

Also, I have bled during the early 2nd trimester in 2 out of my 3 pregnancies (so far not in this one but we'll see). They've never been able to find a reason for it, but it's always gone away on its own after a few days. Good luck, and I hope it goes away and doesn't come back for you!
Thank you ! She just mentioned there was fresh blood. I had mild spotting a few days before. Did you have to be on bed rest during your bleeding ? I am also worried about being on extended bed rest .

Thank you for the reassurances all, I hope this baby will stick in there for atleast 20 more weeks . I am having my anamoly scan on the 5th and so my gyn didn't do an ultrasound . She told me by then we will know one way or another ��

Mrs MB/ bellaloo , is Pap smear not fine during pregnancy ? I had mine 5 years back and I was told to get it done ASAP. I didn't realize the exam could cause bleeding . I have been very sore down there since the exam but it's slowly getting better .

I can imagine you are, 4-year-olds and bed rest don't mix well.

I was on bed rest at 27 weeks because of spotting and suspected PPROM. They examined me and the exam did cause even more spotting. I was on bed rest until it stopped. There was no exercise (aside from walking), no sex and no heavy lifting from there on out.

As far as i am aware when inhave been for mine (ive had 3/4 now) they have always asked if i could be pregnant? Maybe its safe to do if your past so many weeks? x

She did put me on modified bedrest for a couple days. Which was basically no lifting my toddler, no sex, and rest as much as possible. At your anatomy scan, they will probably look to see if you have any collections of blood in the uterus. I never did, though, so don't be too surprised if they don't find anything. How is the spotting now?

I really hope that's the case . Spotting has stopped since last night . I do have some soreness down there .

I'd go and get checked over anyway. Bleeding/spotting at this stage can sometimes be due to a low placenta, so it's worth letting them check you over. Definitely better to be checked and find nothing than leave it xxxxxx

Update: I went for a complete ultrasound today including anomaly scan today. Baby is fine, healthy, normal. I am great, no blood, placenta is high and cervical length is long!! Thanks for all your support and it looks like the pap smear was the culprit like you ladies mentioned :)

Great! So glad to hear all is well. What a relief! I hope that the rest of the pregnancy is without any unpleasant surprises.

I had a pap at about 14 weeks (if I remember correctly) and I had bleeding afterwards. I was so concerned I went to the ER, but there was nothing wrong-they did a scan and everything. They said it's very common to bleed after a pap.

Try not to stress too much (I know this is easier said than done)!

Update: I went for a complete ultrasound today including anomaly scan today. Baby is fine, healthy, normal. I am great, no blood, placenta is high and cervical length is long!! Thanks for all your support and it looks like the pap smear was the culprit like you ladies mentioned :)

Just saw this! Glad all is well :happydance:

Hi there! Popping over from third tri I bled at 18 weeks and I'm doing just fine right now ❤ sometimes the cervix gets irritated easily during pregnancy and after a pap smear it is very common to spot .

Has she done an ultrasound? A chorionic hemorrhage is very normal and I had one up until second trimester. It causes light red bleeding similar to spotting. If they did an ultrasound they would see it pretty easily, if that's what it is. Hope it resolves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->