Bleeding nipples 2 days in

LoveCakes

Reaction score
I had my little girl on Monday and have been breast feeding.

She has a great suck and tries to latch but i had some problems at the start getting the position right. On Monday night she fed for 4 hours straight, mostly comfort I think as even the midwife couldn't get anything hand expressing.

This had resulted in cracked and one bleeding nipple. Plus there was a little pus and they were sticking to the inside of my bra. I got breast shells this afternoon and it feels so much better but I dread every feed. I can now also see a little colostrum after each feed so at least she is getting food.

Is there anything I can do but make sure she latches right and persevere? I really don't want to give up but can't take the pain indefinitely plus I worry she is eating a little of the blood/pus

The blood/pus won't harm her in any way and I doubt she would even notice (mine never did). The clusterfeeds are also actually very important as that's what brings your milk in.

It won't last forever. I remember those excruciating latches and thinking I couldn't even do it for another day. For my LO, her mouth was just too small to get a really good latch and it improved greatly as she grew.

Could you perhaps contact a lactation consultant or LLL to see if someone could take a look at your latch and give you some tips?

I remember my LO pulling off his latch in the first couple of days an seeing. Blood in my milk. Cue me freaking out....midwife said it was fine. The first bit of breastfeeding is so tough! :hugs:
Make sure you are giving your nipples enough air time. Mine scab bed and it came off in a poorly ventilated sports bra once. Ouch. Keep seeking help if you need it and have faith hat once cluster feeding is over and your issues sorted out you will be breastfeeding without thought soon.

I feel your pain...i actually didn't realize my cracked nipples were bleeding and when LO spit up blood I brought him to emerg at 4 days old lol. They assured me it was fine and they would heal just keep feeding. Air and lanolin cream have been my best friends these last few days LO is now 10 days old and the pain is getting less and less--hang in there mama cause like you I didn't think I could do another day but I am on the mend and you will be soon as well :)

The shields work well and also get some pure lanolin cream it works a treat on cracked/bleeding nipples and also keeps the shields in place and if you use it without the shield it's safe for baby too
It does get better honest :hugs:

Thanks for the responses ladies. The community midwife came out today and I broke down. She got me to latch on rather than do it for me and to get comfortable myself first so I wasn't so tense. It's really made a big difference. I think her confirming phoebe is getting milk makes it better.

We're both still learning but getting there.

Would really recommend lots and lots of Lansinoh cream. Will really help, put it on after every feed. Can get it from boots/amazon and I think even on prescription. Keep going, you're doing a great job! :hugs:

I would really recommend to try Silverette silver cups! They are cups that you put on your nipples between breastfeeding sessions. Silver is a natural antibiotic and antibacterial and has been used for centuries in the medical field! The cups prevent soreness, bleeding and infections and they heal the cuts in 24/48. I used them and they SAVED my breastfeeding experience...seriously, I was ready to give up. My LC recommended them and now I am a huge fan! Also, no chemicals are transmitted to the baby.

Good luck!!!

Lanolin does wonders, but I didn't like the Lansinoh brand. It took too much pressure to apply, which just hurt worse IMO. Medela makes one that is a little smoother to apply and made a world of difference for me. I have also heard that the breast milk itself can heal if you spread it around a bit and then let it dry. I never actually tried that myself.

Lanolin does wonders, but I didn't like the Lansinoh brand. It took too much pressure to apply, which just hurt worse IMO. Medela makes one that is a little smoother to apply and made a world of difference for me. I have also heard that the breast milk itself can heal if you spread it around a bit and then let it dry. I never actually tried that myself.

I understand what you mean. I left mine out in warm spots, by radiators etc to keep it a little softer :thumbup:

Try to keep changing positions as your LO flicks her tongue to draw out the milk and by changing positions you'll give your nipples a break and a chance to heal even if you are feeding from a sore side. I alternate between cradle hold and rubgy hold and I lie down as often as I can to feed too. Lying down on your side and offering LO your breast this way means they can tip their own head back and then you just have to quickly bring their mouth to your breast. This really helped my 2 learn how to latch on correctly.

No sure where your located, but if your in the US you can ask your doc for a RX called, jack newmans all purpose nipple cream. It's amazing!!

Stick with it! The first few days I wanted to quit from the pain but persevered and was so glad I did.

Lanolin cream was my jam. It somehow healed my nipples. I also found that my own colostrum helped heal them as well as babys chapped lips.

Good luck love. It gets better I promise!

You already got great advice from all the ladies. I just wanted to say that it does get easier but the first week-10 days are really rough, even if you don't have any latching issues. I used breast milk on my nipples, kept them out (that sure was fun to watch for DH) and also used bepanthen cream, when they cracked (because yes, mine cracked too. It's pretty common, so no worries!)

You will do GREAT! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->