• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Block feeding question

Ecoden

Reaction score
I've been struggling with oversupply issues off and on since my milk came in. DD went through her 6 week growth spurt about 5 days ago and ever since I've had engorgement every night which makes it hard for her to latch and she has green poo. I have only ever done one breast per feeding but the research I've done makes it seem like I need to feed on one side for longer stretches. My question is, how the heck do you do that without the other breast getting super painful? And once you do switch sides, how can you latch baby to such a full breast? Pumping a little to get her to latch is what I'm doing but won't that just make things worse? I'm so frustrated, any advice is appreciated.

This might be of use:
https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/rev_pressure_soft_cotterman/

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/engorgement/

I've been struggling with oversupply issues off and on since my milk came in. DD went through her 6 week growth spurt about 5 days ago and ever since I've had engorgement every night which makes it hard for her to latch and she has green poo. I have only ever done one breast per feeding but the research I've done makes it seem like I need to feed on one side for longer stretches. My question is, how the heck do you do that without the other breast getting super painful? And once you do switch sides, how can you latch baby to such a full breast? Pumping a little to get her to latch is what I'm doing but won't that just make things worse? I'm so frustrated, any advice is appreciated.

Hey mama, stay strong. You will continue to have some issues regulating your supply for a few weeks yet, but around 12 weeks the supply will regulate and things will be much more comfortable. I'm sure another month and a half of engorgement sounds awful, but I promise, it will be over before you know it.

I'm not sure about latching to a full breast as my kiddo never had problems with that....but I would try dangle feeding.

I believe what you want to do is hand express enough to relieve engorgement...and call a lactation consultant or la leche!

Now all is good during the day but at night my supply is through the roof! I think because she's sleeping longer stretches at night now (silver lining!)

I tried doing 4 hour blocks for a couple of days and it's just so uncomfortable I stopped. I had to pump almost an ounce each time in order to get it soft enough to latch on the unused side. I've gone back to just one side per feeding, using the scissor pressure thing for latching and am living with the green Poo. I also cut out my freezer stash daily pumping session and I think that is already helping. Hopefully the supply will settle as beagleowner said.

I would recommend only hand expressing when you are engorged, pumping will just make oversupply worse unfortunately

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/rev_pressure_soft_cotterman/

If baby is having trouble latching reverse.pressure.softening is a great technique to learn

Oops just noticed someone already shared this one, great advice :thumbup:

Have you had success in reducing milk supply with block feeding? I tried as well but would fill up so badly while nursing on the other side that one breast became rock hard, and painful to the point that the pain radiated to my back.

I'm able to get my daughter (9 days old) to latch (at least enough to get some milk...) but my problem is that she keeps gagging, choking and having to pull off the breaths repeatedly in a feeding. She gags less if I nurse while laying down but this isn't always practical. I feel terrible that this is her nursing experience and worry she might start to reject the breast.

How long have you been block feeding? It probably took about 2 weeks of it before the green poo subsided for me. I would just keep at it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->