Blood Pressure and Breastfeeding

eppgirl

Reaction score
I checked my blood pressure shortly after finishing feeding my son, and it was 152/105 on my right arm (that's the side I bf on) and 133/97 on my left arm. Now its been an hour and my blood pressure is 130/83 on left and 130 some/90 on right. What could this be? Do I need to call the emergency room?

If your blood pressure is different on each arm, you're doing it wrong. At home blood pressure taking is notoriously inaccurate - user error is rife. What is the reason you are checking your blood pressure? If you have an underlying medical condition or your blood pressure is suddenly high for no good reason, you will want to check with your doctor, but it's not the kind of thing that warrants a call to the ER. I highly doubt it has anything to do with breastfeeding.

I suggest you check your bp no more than once a day unless recommended otherwise by your Dr. No you don't need to go to or call the er.
Relax, go read a book, take a walk...

As someone who did go to the ER for high BP the week after giving birth, no, those numbers are not high enough to worry about :) I agree that you should maybe check with your doctor but there's no need to randomly take your BP unless you have a reason to worry about it.

I was diagnosed with pre eclampsia during pregnancy so I wanted to keep an eye on it after birth. Especially considering how horrible I felt.

I also had preeclampsia (never felt bad at all though, except the anxiety I got from seeing high readings in the hospital!). My readings in the hospital were 165/?? quite often. I didn't take it at home too much after I got out, but it was in the 135/85 range shortly after I got out of the hospital. Now it is regularly borderline low - 95/63 -ish. I'd call your doctor and let them know. Also, make sure you are taking it correctly. Feet flat on the floor, back supported, arm supported at chest level, no talking, at least 30 minutes after eating or caffeine, etc. Best to be completely relaxed.

Gotcha. That's a good reason to be monitoring it. I'd give your doctor a call if you haven't already. And keep in mind that it's more worrisome if you're also having other symptoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->