Blood pressure creeping higher - 36 weeks

kitty_el

Pregnant with number 3 😄
Reaction score
Is anyone dealing with high blood pressure - not super high but definitely high and did this continue to rise as your pregnancy progressed?

My blood pressure has been creeping up slowly since around 29 weeks. It has been consistently around 125/135 over 75/80 there have been a couple of instances where it has been up around 150/90.

This past week it has been consistently around 145/89 - I was at the maternity assessment unit this weekend and it was 149/93. So it’s definitely going up, the midwife/doctors don’t seem concerned which is worrying.

I am worried that if it continues to rise over the next 4 weeks or longer if I go over there could be issues.

Thanks

Mine has been creeping up since week 30. It has been very difficult to deal with. I went on bp meds at 34 weeks as my bp was consistently 160s/80-90s. The meds have helped but are more in the 140s/80s-90s. So still not great.

My doctor has been monitoring me twice a week since 30 weeks and has been very concerned. I am being induced in 9 days (37+2).

Mine has been creeping up since week 30. It has been very difficult to deal with. I went on bp meds at 34 weeks as my bp was consistently 160s/80-90s. The meds have helped but are more in the 140s/80s-90s. So still not great.

My doctor has been monitoring me twice a week since 30 weeks and has been very concerned. I am being induced in 9 days (37+2).

How do you feel otherwise?

Not well. I have frequent headaches, chest pains, and just a general feeling of unwell that is hard to explain.

Not well. I have frequent headaches, chest pains, and just a general feeling of unwell that is hard to explain.

At least you only have 9 days! I have also got a constant headache, visual floaters and awful rib pain but urine is clear so I know it’s not pre-e (thank goodness) have you got any protein?

I have had floaters and swelling.

But urine and blood work both come back clear for pre-e.

I was in this position. I was induced the day after my due date. I should have been induced earlier but my midwife was pissed off with me for doubting her (she said everything was fine). I went to my GP and when she found that out she was angry with me. A week and a half later my BP was still high (but lower than it was week before) and I had protein in my urine. She sent me up to hospital and I was induced.

I did a fair amount of research into this after my birth because I wanted to get an understanding of what happened. So the general guideline for mild to moderate gestational hypertension is induction at 39 weeks, even if there is no protein and bloods are fine. In fact, it’s been suggested that all pregnancies should be induced at 39 weeks. Doing this actually decreases your chance of a c section and unsuprisingly a still birth.

Krissie, good luck!! I hope it all goes to plan and you feel better with your precious wee one in your arms soon!

I was in this position. I was induced the day after my due date. I should have been induced earlier but my midwife was pissed off with me for doubting her (she said everything was fine). I went to my GP and when she found that out she was angry with me. A week and a half later my BP was still high (but lower than it was week before) and I had protein in my urine. She sent me up to hospital and I was induced.

I did a fair amount of research into this after my birth because I wanted to get an understanding of what happened. So the general guideline for mild to moderate gestational hypertension is induction at 39 weeks, even if there is no protein and bloods are fine. In fact, it’s been suggested that all pregnancies should be induced at 39 weeks. Doing this actually decreases your chance of a c section and unsuprisingly a still birth.

Krissie, good luck!! I hope it all goes to plan and you feel better with your precious wee one in your arms soon!

Thank you for the reply Sarah. How high was your blood pressure when you were induced? Did u have protein up until that point?

I can’t really remember but it was between 110/90-167/115. I had it taken at least 100 times in a few days, every 10 minutes around the clock for a while. I had traces the week before I was induced and then it went up to +1. They didn’t do a 24 hour urine thing they just induced me and said it was mild preeclampsia

I can’t really remember but it was between 110/90-167/115. I had it taken at least 100 times in a few days, every 10 minutes around the clock for a while. I had traces the week before I was induced and then it went up to +1. They didn’t do a 24 hour urine thing they just induced me and said it was mild preeclampsia

Thanks for the reply Sarah. Are u in the UK?

I have high BP in later pregnancy from 37 weeks onwards it slowly creeps up, I’m taking magnesium supplements this time, have a read up about it, it say it can prevent hypertension blood pressure in 3rd trimester. It’s worth a shot.

This is a study.. I’ve just copy and pasted it..

PURPOSE: To assess if hypertension during the last part of pregnancy could be prevented by magnesium supplementation.

METHODS: Pregnant primagravida women from a local antenatal care unit were given an oral supply of 300 mg magnesium as citrate or placebo from pregnancy week 25 in a randomised double-blind setup. Blood pressure was recorded during pregnancy as well as pregnancy outcome.

RESULTS: In the magnesium-supplemented group, the average diastolic blood pressure at week 37 was significantly lower than in the placebo group (72/1.4 mean/SEM vs 77/1.4, p = 0.031). The number of women with an increase in diastolic blood pressure of ≥15 mmHg was significantly lower in the magnesium group compared with the women who received placebo (p = 0.011). There was an inverse relation between the urinary excretion of magnesium during pregnancy and the diastolic blood pressure (p = 0.005).

CONCLUSIONS: Magnesium supplementation prevented an increase in diastolic blood pressure during the last weeks of pregnancy. The relation between diastolic blood pressure and urinary excretion of magnesium suggests that magnesium is involved in the regulation of blood pressure and that the increase in diastolic blood pressure in pregnancy could be due to a lack of magnesium.

PMID 23715924 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I have high BP in later pregnancy from 37 weeks onwards it slowly creeps up, I’m taking magnesium supplements this time, have a read up about it, it say it can prevent hypertension blood pressure in 3rd trimester. It’s worth a shot.

Thank you Whatme, what is your blood pressure like without the supplements?

In my previous pregnancy’s I get to 36/37 weeks and it just creeps up 160/95, 96, 97 etc.. I’ve always been induced because of it.. but I suffer from migraines and have for years, I’ve been on all kinds of meds because of them.. until I tried magnesium. Which people who get migraines are deficient in, in most cases.. so I started magnesium.. and it’s pretty much cured my migraines.. so it does work. But we will see about the blood pressure, I’m hopeful though. 😊 i mean it’s worth a shot isn’t it, it’s just a vitamin that’s pretty cheap.. the article says magnesium citrate, but I take magnesium L threonate, as it crosses the blood brain barrier, as that’s where I needed it.. but I will switch to the citrate in the 3rd trimester.

I have been trying different varieties of magnesium on/off for the last couple of years as I heard it helps with sleep. I have tried Magnesium Oxide, Magnesium Citrite, Magnesium Glycinate and most recently Mag Taurate.

I can say for certainty it helps with sleep but it gives me headaches and Citrite gives me terrible stomach pains. I am gutted because I know how good Magnesium is for you. I have never heard of Magnesium L Threonate but will definitely look into this :) why do u feel the need to change to Citrite in 3rd Tri?

I take magnesium chloride for leg cramps. I wonder if it helps me sleep better. I will have to try after I have the baby. I stopped taking it about a year ago.

I have been trying different varieties of magnesium on/off for the last couple of years as I heard it helps with sleep. I have tried Magnesium Oxide, Magnesium Citrite, Magnesium Glycinate and most recently Mag Taurate.

I can say for certainty it helps with sleep but it gives me headaches and Citrite gives me terrible stomach pains. I am gutted because I know how good Magnesium is for you. I have never heard of Magnesium L Threonate but will definitely look into this :) why do u feel the need to change to Citrite in 3rd Tri?

I think magnesium citrate is more easily absorbed into the body? I’m no expert, it’s hard to get good solid information on the internet, as I think a lot is sponsored by pharmaceutical companies.. but I’ll keep doing a bit of research and update if I find anything 😊

My Blood pressure started rising at 30 weeks (before 30 weeks it was always 120/80) it slowly went to 130/90 and then to 150/95 near the end. I was hypotone once a day, then twice a day and then to 3 times a day in the last two weeks. I was officially diagnosed with pregnancy induced hypertension on 32 weeks. On 32 weeks my baby also stopped growing (weighed 2kgs at that time and weighed 2.29kgs at birth), my placenta started to calcify early and flow to baby drastically decreased by 36 weeks. I was on bed rest from 36 weeks and had to go in for regular NSTs to make sure she is still Ok. I had a CSection on 37+6 as it was to dangerous to get induced with such a small baby and such high BP on my side.

Just want to add, she was born small but absolutely perfect. She was taken to my room only minutes after she was born and no time in NICU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->