Blood test results back after my MC.

June_Sprite74

2 children (14 & 8) TTC#3
Reaction score
Hi all, I haven't been on here for a few weeks as I've been recovering mentally following my natural miscarriage at 10 weeks on 20th June. I had my bloods taken following three miscarriages, the other two were earlier than 10 weeks. Anyway the results revealed I have an underactive thyroid. The doctor mentioned that my levels are quite significant and this could have definitely been one of the reasons for my m/c's.
I am now on 50mg of thyroxine for 2 weeks and then go back to get my bloods checked before they up the dose. I will also gets bloods done for autoantibodies which basically attack my thyroid.

I'm holding off TTC again until my levels are correct as your thyroid is a really important function in your body and obviously any hormone imbalance is bad news.

Symptoms of underactive thyroid include: (Copied from Patient UK)

Many symptoms can be caused by a low level of thyroxine. Basically, everything 'slows down'. Not all symptoms develop in all cases.
Symptoms that commonly occur include: tiredness, weight gain, constipation, aches, feeling cold, dry skin, lifeless hair, fluid retention, mental slowing, and depression.

Less common symptoms include: a hoarse voice, irregular or heavy menstrual periods in women, infertility, loss of sex drive, carpal tunnel syndrome (which causes pains and numbness in the hand), and memory loss or confusion in the elderly.
However, all these symptoms can be caused by other conditions, and sometimes the diagnosis is not obvious. Symptoms usually develop slowly, and gradually become worse over months or years as the level of thyroxine in the body gradually fall

Symptoms I had
Extreme tiredness - going to bed at 8pm most nights and being too tired to even talk, slow movements - The feeling I was in slow motion some times, mentally not as quick - ditsy, clumsy, aching hip joints, numb right arm and shoulder, hoarse voice and fluid retention.

I didn't gain much weight which the doctor was surprised at considering my levels, but I do a lot of exercise, looking back I really didn't have a lot of energy and started eating more thinking I was burning more calories.

I'll keep you posted on further test results.

Good luck. I hope that they can correct your levels and that you can get a lovely little sticky bean with a :bfp:

Cathy xxx

Glad you got answers babe & u can hopefully get back ttc soon with the knowledge that next time things will be different & u'll get ur gorgeous bubs in ur arms at the end of it ((((((((hugs))))))) lov Caz xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi there, I got an underactive thyroid during my last pregnancy and it is awful you dont realise how bad the effects are till you start feeling better. Getting your thyroid level is really important and can cause brain defects for the baby as well as recurrent Mc. Having said that I have met lots of HoTy mums who have gone on to have lovely children so its just an obsticale on your journey. Good luck sweetheart, let us know how you are doing.

in fact if you are interested I have a thread in ttc buddies for hypothyroid if you wanna come and chat.

hi june_sprite ,im sorry for your loss , i wanna thank you for posting this i had a mmc in june , but when i went to the fertility for check ups my thyroid was showing a underactive thyroid and they asked me to speak to my gp but they just took blood and never treated me , but im going to speak to my new gp about checking again as i still have all the symtoms , thanks again and big :hugs:

Thanks for all your lovely replies and I will pop over Pippa to the thread you mention.

Susan: Do go and get this checked out. It's common for women over 35 to develop this condition over time at some level. You can develop thyroid problems after pregnancy but it is hereditary too and at first I knew of no one in my family who had this, but after talking to my mum, she said her 2 sisters have underactive thyroids! So obviously I would have been likely to develop it. Let me know how you get on.

sorry for your loss :( itll be nice to know now whats going on xx

thanks june sprite , got the gp tomorow and im going to ask about my results the midwife took , she did a fbc , its in my family to on my dads side most of the older aunts and my gran have it , in 2009 my tsh was 7.0 but t3 t4 normal , ill let you know how i get on take care :hugs:

Susan di you get checked out. My levels of TSH were 23.4 and the normal range is something like 0.3 - 2.0 - I am going to talk properly to my doctor about it when I get the next lot of blood results and am definitely not TTC until my levels are corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->