Blood test when needle-phobic

Leafy

Reaction score
Has anyone dealt with this before? Im having a blood test tomorrow and cant breathe properly when I think about it (Which is constantly!!!) It makes me shake and feel sick. I've got EMLA cream off the pharmacist but i'm convinced it wont work :(

Anyone been through this? Any tips? :(

Thanks xxx

I used to be very needle phobic (and dentist phobic) but have managed to overcome both to a certain extent.

Make sure you have had plenty of fluids before you go. Not too much, but a glass of juice or whatnot before hand will help. Keep warm too, cold makes your veins constrict but if you are nice and warm they will be easy to find and easier to get the blood out of you.

Unless it's a glucose test, have a biscuit or small piece of chocolate before hand (or a few sups of lucozade), just something to get your blood sugars up - this will help stop you from feeling faint.

And just breathe - the more you can relax, the better :hugs:

xxx

tell the person who is doing the blood test!! my MW was totally understanding & got another person to come in & chat to me then she did it & i didnt even notice.
& dont look at the needle. x

It's not a glucose test no, it's to check my progesterone level and I think maybe some other hormones, the doctor seemed to be ticking a few things off the sheet! This makes me worry they'll be taking loads of blood! :(

My breathing is something i'm going to try and work on, I think last time I had blood taken I was hyperventilating before I went in and then I was holding my breath during!

A calming technique i sometimes use as a i have severe anxiety is breathing in as you count to 7 and breathing out as you count to 11.You focus on breathing and counting distracts you and helps to keep you focused.

Just look away and focus on breathing or distract yourself by singing a song or saying a poem in your head or talking to someone.It will be over so quick and it really is mainly the thought of it that is scary rather than the actual thing.I used to be so scared but had so many through being pregnant and lots of liver function checks due to gallstones/pancreatitis i just looked away and distracted myself and can cope alot better with them now.

I have to get my needlephobic other half to a blood test somewhen next week and thats going to be a challenge! Good Luck xxxx

Thanks hon it's a horrible thing to be needle-phobic, i suffer from anxiety too so doesn't help with things! I get over-anxious and in a right state. I'll probably be in tears in there making a fool of myself :( lol x

Imthat terrified of needles I near enough pass out. I have numbing cream called emla, its fab, I couldn't do it without. I even had it in labour

i was exactly the same yrs ago but after 3 children i have overcome it...i used to lay on a bed and the nurse would hold my hand i was that bad seriously it doesnt even hurt

:hugs: I suffer from anxiety and am/was needle phobic. I got over it mostly when i was pregnant and the various blood tests i had. Try consentrating on calming your breathing and try and think of something else, go "lalalalala" in your head if you need to. This really helps me when i feel a panic/anxiety attack coming on. Try talking about anything whilst you're having it done too as this will take your mind off it a little bit :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->