Blood thinners after c-section?

MellyH

Pregnant (Twins!)
Reaction score
In the Feb mummies thread, one of the UK bumpers mentioned that daily blood thinner injections and standard there after c-sections. I wanted to ask the American bumpers if they had experienced that here? If so, how many/often/for how long? Thanks for any info!!

Not routine where I am in canada! We get given anti DVT socks (very glam) and early mobilization. Hope that helps :)

I'm in the UK and never been told about the injections? :shrug: I'll have to ask the midwife tomorrow but as far as I'm aware it's not common at my hospital..

I had a section just 5 days ago in the UK and I have the injections for 7 days, I did with my previous section too.

Bumblebee, it must be hospital specific then?

I will ask at my hospital tour today.

I had one injection into my tummy here in NZ.

I am in Australia and I had an injection in my belly everyday till discharge (4 days). Plus I had to wear compression stockings for a month as a precaution.

In Alberta (Canada) they really like to give all eligible (as in not allergic, not already on another blood thinner) post-op patients a daily heparin injection.

I had one, then I declined the second because I was mobile 6 hours after surgery.

Not generally routine. You'll have giant "socks" more than likely that prevent blood clots until you start walking around. Sooo itchy.

https://i57.tinypic.com/nmkhf5.jpg

I had a c-section last April here in Ohio, and they didn't do blood thinners, though they had these leg and foot sleeves that connected to a machine that applied pressure intermittently to prevent DVTs...i didn't mind it the first day, but after i was able to get up and move, they got annoying...:dohh:

They should do a risk assessment on everyone, even if they don't provide you with injections as a result. If you haven't had a risk assessment then ask for one. It really is important.

With my section I had injections once a day for 7 days. I had the option to do them myself (which I thought I'd cope with but after a while they made me feely icky doing them) or have a MW/HV come out and do them for me.

I was instructed to stick them in any fatty place - bum, belly or thigh.

i'm in the uk, had it with my first but not my second. I think it depends on the amount of blood you lose during the section.
with my first they were getting blood ready ready for a transfusion, I almost 900ml of blood. I don't really remember much of it as it was all rushed, just going on what hubby told me.
with my second I lost around 250ml of blood, which they said was the less amount they had in awhile and was surprising conceding how much I lost the first time round.

It is to do with your risk of suffering a clot. Risk factors include a family history of clots, high BMI, age, whether you smoke, immobility. Maybe after a bigger blood loss they expected you to be less mobile?

Sorry, I don't mean to lecture. I've had a clot in the past and I am on blood thinners during pregnancy as well as six weeks after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->