Blood Transfusion

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
I dont really know where to ask this ...

My Doctor thinks I need a blood transfusion but to severe anaemia, but highlighted all the risks i.e. infected blood.

Anyone had one? Its seems really scary now :S

Yeah I had one after the birth of my first son. Wasn't painful at all but I do understand your worries about it. My husband is a scientist and my mum a nurse and whilst both are very well aware of the risks etc, they both encouraged me to have it as the risks of not having it are higher. Hope that makes some sense!

My situation is different... but I had one after my last baby & would've died without it (needed 12 pints)

I havent suffered any ill effects & think the risks of things such as infected blood are extremely tiny xx

I had to have one after having my little boy to save my life, I had to have half the blood replaced in my body. I was fine afterwards. You will be fine x

thanks ladies, Mine isnt urgent or anything its just I have bleed since having him so my iron is rock bottom and im fainting and feeling really ill.

How did you feel during/after?

I was unconcious during so obviously didnt know anything about it and was pretty ill and stayed in the high dependancy unit for a few days afterwards but that was due to my body going into shock because of blood loss... (which wouldnt happen in your case as the blood would be transfused slowly over a period of time rather than as quickly as possible to prevent me bleeding to death)

I think its a pretty safe procedure in this day & age hunni :hugs: & could be really beneficial to you xx

Mine wasn't an emergency but because of all the blood I lost and I felt better after having it. I was getting dizzy, breathless and feeling sick so I was glad I had it done. Plus, in my experience they don't often encourage you to have a transfusion unless you really need it so I would be guided by their advice.

Have they not recommended heavy dose iron pills? If it really isn't an emergency then I would not do it. I was severely anemic after the birth of my son as well, and was told that due to the risks of transfusions, if it isn't an emergency then iron pills are better. It does take a little longer, but they do work.

I was the same, fainting, dizzy, not really able to concentrate or think straight, super tired etc. The iron pills took a couple weeks to help but they really did help. My iron went back up steadily.

Good luck.:)

Sorry to forgot to write something! I have had an operation which does make it more difficult to absorb vitamins so maybe that is why they were so adamant I should have one. Maybe the pills would be best to try first?

yeah i have been on high does iron for months now, my body doesnt seem to absorb it very well. but because i have been bleeding so much itrs hard to tell.

as a teenager i was told i may need one because i was so anemic and eventually they stopped my periods.

They said after giving birth it was so low that it would take at least 6 months to build up, but now its lower than that :S

Thanks for your help ladies! :D

My sister and I both have (had) anemia. Mine was controllable, hers was not. She almost died at age 3 (and would have, if she had not had a blood transfusion). Yes, there are risks, but blood donation is (now) a very controlled industry and I think if there is a enough risk, it can mean life or death for some with severe anemia. Good luck!

My sister is now 20 and doing just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->