blotchy face after baby porridge?

LDC

Reaction score
hi all,

given my boy porridge the past couple of days and his face has come up in red blotches.

His breathing is ok but it seems to be an allergic reaction?

I've tried 2 different porridge makes and the same has happened both times.

he's ebf and I've added water to make the rice.

am I right in Thinking allergy?

xx

Sounds like an allergy to me?

I first discovered that my nearly 5 year old has dairy allergy when he was 6 months old. It started off with a baby porridge where he came out in red blotches and swelling. It was obvious to us he had a dairy allergy as this would only happen when he'd have anything with dairy, cheese, yogurts and milk etc. After many months he was diagnosed with CMPA and still has it now.

Try keep a diary of what he eats and when it happens.

How old is he? About 5 months? I think porridge is a no-no at this age due to he gluten but I might be wrong, it's been a while since I've had to wean a baby.

It does sound like a mild allergic reaction.

Thanks ladies, spoke to the health visitor. She said it sounds like an intolerance to something but not a dairy allergy as he is ebf and I eat dairy and that I also mixed the rice with water rather than milk/formula.

She's advised that we may need to go to a dietician but to wean him on vegetables, one at a time, and list everything I feed him and reactions, even if there are none.

She said if I wean just on veg at the minute then I know he's only having one ingredient and not lots so I can see what might be upsetting him as such but she said its good that he's not vomitting or pooping after he's eaten the porridge, just to steer clear for a while.

I'm having a call In a week off her so fingers crossed.

He's 5 months two weeks, 19lb 5oz :)

Xx

My son was ebf, I never made any change to my diet whatsoever but he never reacted to my milk at all. He has a severe allergy to dairy and will react even if a drop of milk touches his skin so that's always a possibility.

Best thing you can do is keep a diary of what he eats x

How blotchy? Did it last long? My daughter's chin/cheeks are sometimes blotchy after a meal. I was worried about allergy but I've realised it's just from wiping with a flannel! She's got sensitive skin and just the rubbing to clean her makes her red and blotchy but it soon goes. I only figured of out when I used a wet flannel to clean her face when it was just a not snotty and the same thing happened

It's really blotchy, all over, paired with watering eyes and a runny nose that just came on out of nowhere when he'd had porridge, so definitely something to do with the food. Funnily enough, he had what you described when I rubbed him with a sponge in the bath all over his belly!

As an update, he's managed well with vegetables, fruit and wheatabix...well with what he's eaten anyway. At the minute I probably get a couple of mouthfuls in him without him spitting it out! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->