BLW - how/when to start...

joeyjo

Mum to 2boys, growing #3
Reaction score
So my LO is 5 months at the weekend. For the last week or so he has enjoyed sitting at the table with us; either in his chair or on my knee. I have given him some spoons and 1 table toy to play with but no food yet and had no intention to for another 3weeks or so.

On Sunday he grabbed my toast and started gnawing it; I took it off him and gave him his toy which seemed no where near as interesting!! He is now constantly grabbing for our food.

Anyway I know the advice is 6months but seeing as he won't eat much just play with it I'm considering offering bits earlier - what do you girls think?

A few girls doing BLW including myself started letting LO play with solids before 6 months as long as they were sitting up etc etc. As you say, he won't eat much at this stage. I'd just stick to plain things like steamed veg and fruit sticks for the time being and move onto 'normal' food at the 6 month mark. The general consensus is that a baby won't pick up, bite off a bit, chew it and swallow it until they are ready to eat. It's not the same as purees where it's so easy to swallow, BLW is alot of work for LO which they couldn't do unless they're ready.

Come join us in the BLW sticky too! :D

Completely agree with Lu, and we started when Violet was 5.5months but just started with two or so foods at a time and it was only fruit / salad / veg and only once per day.

I started my LO on BLW at about 4.5 months. :shock: He absolutely demanded it and showed all the ready signs. :roll:

He's 5.5 months now and we are still sticking mostly to veg and fruit and usually only at dinner time. The couple of times he has managed to grab more than that (i.e. meats or complex things), it has upset his tummy a bit.

But on the whole it is going really well for us! And even though he primarily plays and knaws on the food, he does actually manage to swallow surprising amounts (as evidenced by his nappies!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->