BLW...

Zarababy1

4 boys. TTC #5
Reaction score
Gon on then how does it work!? Charlie was probably weaned far to early i'll admit making that mistake and i thing as a result im left with a very fussy eater im keen not to make the same mistakes this time around! we live and learn eyy...just exploring my options atm! got 4 months to decided!

we've just started BLW - the whole idea is you read their body language looking for readiness of wanting to eat.

for example Quentin can put up objects and co-ordernate them accurately to his mouth, can sit up unaided, also showing and interest in watching us eat.

he is just 5 months, they recommend not starting BLW til 6 months but i'm being led by him right! :happydance:

his first taste of food was a rusk whilst i was eating a sandwich i gave him half and he knew exactly what to do with it - straight into his mouth.

I've started reading 'Baby led weaning" by Gill Rapely which basically goes on to say offer food off your plate, offer it in manageable sized pieces (ie finger sized at least)

don't help, they will find their own way, expect it to be messy. they will lick, squidge, touch, mush everything. don't interfere, praise etc mealtimes need to be seen as normal.

the key thing you need to understand is that beginning weaning is playtime they don't understand that food will nourish them and make them feel full. let them investigate and play with the food and milk should remain the focus of their calorie intake for a few more months, apparently by 9 months you can expect them to be taking in a good portion of what they're offered.

i've seen both my niece and nephew go through the stress of purees and introducing lumps etc. this way your only teaching them to eat once instead of learning to recognise foods several times - ie carrot smooth, mashes, lumps etc

Agree with everything Littlestar said! I'd definitely recommend getting the book by Gill Rapley, it's brilliant at explaining the theory behind it. We've been doing it now for 5 months and it's great, everyone marvels about her hand eye coordination etc.

Thanks Lu, I'm still finding it nerve racking - i offer food every other day at the mo, working up to at least one meal daily then up from that.

today we had a brunch (full cooked breakfast at lunch) Q tried a bit of bacon, half rusk and small amount of crusty bread. It sounds nuts but he sucked on both the bacon and bread and didn't actually eat any of it. but it's normal! esp at this stage, i think my il's must think i'm nuts but they're letting me go with it. I do think they were a little shocked when they noticed him sucking on bacon! :haha:

Agree with everything Littlestar said! I'd definitely recommend getting the book by Gill Rapley, it's brilliant at explaining the theory behind it. We've been doing it now for 5 months and it's great, everyone marvels about her hand eye coordination etc.

BTW I borrowed the book from the library, always worth checking it out before buying! :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->