Boiler broken. Missing landlord! Help!

lhancock90

2 toddlers, 1 MMC, WTT#3
Reaction score
Yesterday our boiler stopped working. We have no hot water or heat. We've had to stay upstairs because of how cold downstairs is (big, no carpets).
It's showing fault code F5 which according to google means lots of things. We've "reset" it as it says to do on the front by turning it off for five seconds then on again with no luck. It says if that doesn't work to contact a corgi registered engineer. Obviously this would be job of the landlord.
The number we have for him constantly goes to voicemail. The agency only manage the contract not the actual property. They said they have the same number and it's going to voicemail to.
The agent said in our position he would get someone out to fix it and take it out of our next rent payment. But is that even legal?!
We literally have no other way to get hold of him! His address isn't listed on the contract and on the contract where their are sections for both the landlord and agent to sign the agent has signed both! So surely that invalidates the contract?!

Complain to Environmental Health. They will be able to find him - we did this. They had to try several times and eventually we fixed it and deducted it from the rent. Give them a ring and see what they say but yes I would definitely fix and deduct it. Your family cannot go without heating, I think it's illegal as you have young children who need to be kept warm.

If anyone would get into trouble it's your feckless landlord.

Call your council and tell them.

Dont fix anything there is a procedure for that which if you dont follow you will ve out of pocket.

When doe's your rent come out? I'd stop the payment he will soon ring you. If its too soon away leave a voicemail and say that if he doesn't get in contact within 2 days then you will get it repaired but take it out of the rent.

Don't with hold rent without going through official channels - you can end up in trouble even though he is at fault here.
I think the council is your best bet.

Yes you get someone out and deduct it from the rent

The agent can sign on behalf of the landlord - but his address must be on the contract for rent to be legally due in the first place

The fact that you can't get hold of him and he has a responsibility to maintain the boiler you have no choice - maybe ring SMS and lam to say wha you are doing - ask the agent for a telephone number of one of their contractors as they will be legit corgi engineers

How annoying :( have you left him a voicemail? I'd give him a day to get back to you, then I'd leave a message saying you'll get someone out to fix it and deduct it from his rent and you'll happy sent him the receipt if you had his address!! Do the agency have an e-mail for him?

Also legally the landlord should give you their current address. I would also be skeptical about withholding rent, even if the agency have said it's ok as it sounds like they don't deal with you anymore (we are on something similar where the agency were paid just to find us and now we deal direct with the landlord) I relieve ur best bet would be the council.

Just thinking did the landlord put ur deposit into dps? U should of been given the details to log in, the website should show you contact details.

Thank you all.
I am wary of just hiring someone and taking it out the rent because it's not my place.
At the moment we are using electric heaters which obviously will raise the electric bill :(
Going to keep trying tomorrow, going to track down the dps documents and see if the agent will divulge his address or at least write to him for me.

Dont withold rent. Contact the council they will tell you what to do.

Thank you all.
I am wary of just hiring someone and taking it out the rent because it's not my place.
At the moment we are using electric heaters which obviously will raise the electric bill :(
Going to keep trying tomorrow, going to track down the dps documents and see if the agent will divulge his address or at least write to him for me.

Maybe tell them legally u should of given me his address as see if tht works.. I hope this gets sorted soon for you it's such a crappy position to be in. It's a shame u can't just take it out of rent or whatever. It sucks u have to use those electric heaters too.. Give the council a ring too see if they can help.. If all that fails then try cab..
Keep us updated x

Is the property not managed by an agency? I presume the landlord manages it himself then. How long have you been trying to contact him for?

Even if the agency only manages the contract they should be able to advise you of what you are legally allowed to do in this situation, I'm surprised they haven't given you more firm advice.

We are landlords and we have to maintain heating, if something goes wrong we have to fix it in a 'reasonable amount of time' this is of course subjective but if you've been calling and leaving messages for a few days (in winter, with small children) this would not be considered reasonable. If he is not contactable for days he should provide alternative contact details.

I would call council and get their opinion but if they don't advise you then I would get someone in to give you a quote. Then call and leave him a message with the quote details. Give him 24 hours then go ahead and get it fixed. I wouldn't advise taking it out of the rent, just forward him the bill. If he refuses to pay then go to small claims. We've done it twice- it's an easy process and you will get your money back (with court fees paid too). Obviously all that is presuming you can afford to pay the bill for the time being, I know that's not always possible. If that's the case then you have to push it with the council.

Trust me in these situations the tenant wins 99% of the time!

Good luck and hope you get warm soon.

Thank you all.
He's contacted us via text. He said he's in India because his mother has passed away. So basically he wants us to get it done ourselves and he will pay us back.
What we are going to do it get a quote, and provided it less than the rent take it out of our rent money and only pay whatever the difference is this month.
Still not a brilliant situation but not much we can do.

I would defo do what you're doing. I'd be weary him paying you back. So if it's out of rent at least you won't be going short of money. x

Glad is getting sorted. Keep your texts from him and ask for confirmation is writing jus in case? Either way glad u got it sorted x

At least he's contacted you - you may find that you can't just get a quote as the contractors will charge to come out and look at it - you don't want to have to pay for two call outs to then come back and fix it - check this when ŷou speak to someone and make sure they are gas safe registered

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->