Boob preference?

Izzie74

Reaction score
My lo seems to favour my right side. Is this usual? Is there anything I can do to help her on the other side, or is it just one of those things?

My DS went through a phase of favoring the right breast. I just always offered the left breast first and attempted a couple times to get him to feed from that side before moving him to the right side. My supply on the left did seem to drop a bit, but it was a short phase (A couple weeks.) and then he stopped showing preference from side to side so he was able to bring the supply in my left breast right back up. In my experience, it was just a phase and he eventually grew out of it on his own.

Mine is 2 months old and still favours the left. My right produces slightly less than the left (4-5 oz vs 5-6 on the left), I asked the nurse before we left hospital and our family doc both said it is normal for some babies. I think in our case it is because I had a piercing (since removed) in the right, so there are extra places the milk comes out. The doc also said it could be that baby prefers sleeping/lying on that side or that there is a preference for how you hold them with that arm.

Mine had a preference until she was probably a year and a half old and solids finally took over breastfeeding. I was little lopsided as a result but not the end of the world. :haha:

Just make sure you still always offer and get your LO to feed a bit from the other side to avoid clogged ducts.

Mine prefers my left. I can understand why. The letdown reflex is easier to get and the nipple is a slightly easier shape for her to grab. I use a nipple shield on the right more often than the left and she latches easier that way.

My right boob has always been...over-enthusiastic.

When LO was tiny he preferred the left as the right one had such a forceful let-down and fast flow he'd choke. As he's grown he's changed to favour the right as the let down is much faster. Now there's a definite difference in how much I can pump from each breast but I just keep offering the lazy boob first so it's fair :winkwink:

My dd has kind of always preferred the left boob because of comfort I think. Also my let down was faster on the right side so the poor girl was almost drowning in milk until I got it figured out on the right side. She's still nursing now and the left is the side she mostly uses.

Exact same story here as lisa1980 lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"