booby feed AND formula?

mrscookie

Mama and expecting
Reaction score
Stupid question, but can you booby feed AND bottle feed formula providing the period of time between each feed is long enough (I read that breast milk and formula can curdle in babies tummy if fed too close together)

For example, I want to breast feed her through out the day and then maybe at night bottle feed her, so hubby can join in too.I will also try expressing so he can help, but my sister couldnt produce enough to express and feed her son so I just wondered if formula and breastmilk can be fed
-not mixed together lol. forgive my stupidness, i have a thousand questions now the time is near!
x:hug:

The best way to ensure good supply is to do 100% breastfeeding if at all possible. There are lots and lots of other ways that OH can help out, that don't risk compromising your milk supply.

You should exclusivley breastfeed to ensure your milk supply is plentyful, the more you feed the more you produce! just dropping that one booby feed or two can effect the supply.Also combining both can create teat/nipple confusion for baby. Also as soon as you introduce formula to the baby, the antibodies in breastmilk does not work or is not as effective (or something along those lines??) even though any breast milk you can give is excellent. Saying that i am no expert on breastfeeding (i only lasted 4 weeks :()
hope you get some answers. x

thankyou ladies so much :D keep the opinions coming!
xx

If you want to breast feed don't give formula, atall, not even once because a bottle is ALOT easier for a baby than a breast as they don't have to work for it and they will start demanding a bottle and not latch on to your breast.

Using a bottle as well as breast can inhibit the amount of milk your body produces, as your body works on a supply and demand basis.

You could ask this over on the feeding bit - I think I've read there that people do both without any problems. It's probably different for different people. I have read that you should just breast feed for the first month and not use a dummy / bottles while you get breast feeding established.

I'm sure if you timed expressing your milk right for the bottle feed your supply wouldn't be effected?

Don't really know though - just my musings... I'm putting off doing things today!

:hug: xxxx

I did it with my ds. I exclusively bf for the first two weeks. but then I had really sore nipples and got to a point i could not bear to feed him. I ended up expressing and bottle feeding to help my nipples heal. Obviously then ds was more used to a bottle and i couldn't express enough all the time so he was supplemented with formula too. Eventually i started latching him on more and more again and had to build up my supply again and get him used to the booby sucking again lol. In the end i used to bf him during the day and night and dh would give him a formula feed late at night so i could get a few hrs sleep without being disturbed. I do think its possible you just need to be careful how you go about it. Personally i don't think one bottle feed a day will cause problems but i guess every baby is different.

Ive read that you can do give forumula with no probs if its at the same of day each day, like the same night feed would always be formula then brest for all the other feeds.

thanks guys, still keep em coming! lol. I may repost this like elmo said
xx

elmo lol i might use that name now:rofl::rofl:

glad you posted this actuallly,
i've bought 2 aptamil formula cartons just in case and i bought this yesterday

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260321338417

i heard electric ones are better on baby whisperer lol. and they way expensive as well so thought i could get a second hand one and maybe buy new tubing and bottles for it.

the more you feed the more you produce so thought if i express when i can after a few weeks to build a little bank for when i venture out, thought i might do this once feeding is established to avoid teat confusion and make sure its milk i'm freezing not colustrum as that what you get first.

its only a theory of thinking and it'll prob change after bubba comes i'm covering my options

what do you think??? lol

xxx

Sounds like a plan to me!

I think the breast pump thing is very individual. I had a hand operated one that i got on really well with. My ds was ill at 2 wks old and in hospital and they gave me an electric one to use (named daisy tsk lol) and i didn't do as well with that.

I was thinking of getting an electric pump so that hubby can take part in feeding the baby. Just not too sure about the combination of liquid and electricity!

If you want to breast feed don't give formula, atall, not even once because a bottle is ALOT easier for a baby than a breast as they don't have to work for it and they will start demanding a bottle and not latch on to your breast.

This would be the main concern I would have too. The bottle is so much less work for baby to get milk from. Also, may cause a bit of confusion. I have no idea what goes on in the mind of a newborn. :dohh:

My friend pumps and can't ever get the lil boy to want the bottle, mostly he likes the snuggly mom time, so you just never know. She usually will feed and then pump extra whenever she can and put it in the fridge for later at night or when they are out.

Also, a thread that I "saved" for when I finally get around to pumping I thought was interesting talks about some of the dangerous to avoid when pumping so it's not too much of a pain in the butt and so you don't lose milk production.
https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-third-trimester/33810-pumping-destined-fail.html
and this one on helping you pump (as it's not always easy)
https://www.babyandbump.com/breast-bottle-feeding/51359-help-expressing.html

We learnt about breastfeeding at my antenatal class last night. They emphasised that you shouldn't give a bottle or dummy at least until bf is established to ensure there is no nipple confusion. Apparently there is nothing quite like sucking milk out of a booby (that's why its so good for babys mouth, tongue, speech development.) There are plenty of other ways daddy can get involved - we were told they are especially good at burping because they generally have bigger and stronger hands than mummy. Bath time is also a good way for dads to bond with baby. The way our teacher pointed it out - the amount of time you exclusively bf (6 mths max usually) is nothing compared to the rest of babys life when daddy will be able to do things with baby - feeding solids, helping them learn to walk, talk and ride a bike etc.

I was thinking of getting an electric pump so that hubby can take part in feeding the baby. Just not too sure about the combination of liquid and electricity!

oh no like our nipple wont by standing to attention anyway lol without giving them extra help with an electric shock :rofl::rofl::rofl:

oh no like our nipple wont by standing to attention anyway lol without giving them extra help with an electric shock :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl:liquid is nowhere near the electrical supply:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: and you don't plug your nipples in either:dohh::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've tried manual and electric and to be honest found I could express more and have more control with the Avent manual pump...less noisy and more discreet....can sit anywhere etc and much cheaper:happydance:. My local breastfeeding support groups will rent machines out to you so you could try a few and either long term rent or buy your own after trying them out:happydance:

LOOOL iv started something havent I :D hahah
I have the avent pump too, I have tested it but to no avail yet lol!
There is so much to consider, I still dont quite know what to do for the best.
I will deffo express, but the nipple confusion thing scares me.

xx

LOOOL iv started something havent I :D hahah
I have the avent pump too, I have tested it but to no avail yet lol!
There is so much to consider, I still dont quite know what to do for the best.
I will deffo express, but the nipple confusion thing scares me.

xx

I can't imagine you'll get more than a few drops right now anyway babe. It does take practice too. The 1st times I do it (a few weeks after birth when breastfeeding is well established) I only ever manage an ounce or so in half an hour of trying and then it gradually goes up and before you know it...you can knock an 8oz bottle up in 10mins:happydance::happydance::happydance:.

As baby starts to eat solids etc and feed less from you it declines again and I was struggling to get more than 5ozs by the time babies were 9months so started to use formula here an there if I needed to and to mix with baby cereal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->