• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Booking in issues

Creative

Reaction score
I am off to book in this afternoon with the midwife.
I'm 44 have had two normal vaginal deliveries in hospital and one homebirth.
I had a MC 9 weeks last year.
My children are 21, 19 and 14.
I am slim, healthy, don;t drink or smoke, eat healthily. Have nicely low Blood pressure am fit and active.
other than my age I don't think there is a lot going against me, but in your experience am I going to have a fight on my hands to get a Homebirth? I expect that because of my age they may insist I see a consultant which makes me so cross.

I don't see why you should be placed under consultant care if you are perfectly healthy. I'm 37 but because I had a high bmi and was a smoker (quit as soon as I got BFP) I had to see a consultant. When I saw him it was for 2 minutes and he signed me off a low risk.

My midwife said if you have 3 factors which when combined come under the 'high risk' category (age, bmi and lifestyle risk) then that's when they transfer you over to a consultant, but that they wouldn't normally for it for just one of those.

It can vary depending on area and their policies. I wouldn't think think these days your age would be a factor. I only have one and a half risk factors really-being a grand multipara and my BMI though my BMI is well under what they consider to be really risky yet the team are still saying I will need to see a consultant. Had homebirth still been in the hands of the community midwives I highly doubt they would have decided this. Similarly if I go to hospital it seems that they wouldn't consider me at risk of haemorrhage either, only if I had had five previous live births, which is just ridiculous really. I would just be prepared to stand up for yourself and fight your corner if you really want a homebirth then they cannot prevent you nor can they say too much against it, especially not based just on your age alone xx

Well I am back and it says booked for homebirth on my notes and the MW said to me. Your rights as a woman is actually to have a birth wherever you want so I shall put you down as a homebirth. Don't have to go as consultant care and so I am a happy girl.

I do have to start taking asprin for placenta care but other than that it went amazingly smoothly.
I am booked for a dating scan next thursday (not having NT scan)

congratulations on your pregnancy! and these are great news indeed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->