Bootle feeding nightmare!

snoozang

Reaction score
My daughter is 14 weeks old and over the last few weeks has become increasingly difficult to feed during the second half of her bottle. She guzzles down the first 2-3 oz no problem, however, once I have winded her half way through she will fuss over the remaining 3oz, playing with/chewing the teat, pushing it out with her tongue, turning her head and wriggling in my lap. She is definitely still hungry as she eventually takes it, but it can take up to 50 mins for her to finish a full bottle. She is on Doc Browns level 2 teats which I think are fine for her as the level 3 are too fast. Has anyone had a similar experience?....I am at my wits end here and dreading feeding times!!

Don't burp her halfway through. She will stop feeding when she needs to burp. The disruption of you stopping in the middle of a bottle may confuse her. Ava did this too and when I stopped burping her halfway through she'd take the whole bottle with no problem.

We were the complete opposite of the above. If we winded her more often then she'd be fine. If we left it too late to wind her then she'd get really fussy and it'd take forever to get the burps up... And that's what it was, trapped wind stopping her having the rest. If she's guzzling the first half then she's more likely to get deep trapped wind then if she took it at a steady and slow pace.

Don't burp her halfway through. She will stop feeding when she needs to burp. The disruption of you stopping in the middle of a bottle may confuse her. Ava did this too and when I stopped burping her halfway through she'd take the whole bottle with no problem.

i was gonna agree with this. we stopped winding eden half way through her bottle because she was doing the same. it worked for us as she always guzzled the whole lot down but never had a problem bringing the wind up.

tbh i think i stopped winding at around 14 weeks and would just sit her up after her bottles and it would just come up on its own eventually. think i stopped at around the same time with my other 2 kids aswell.

but as said above it doesnt work for everyone, its just finding what works for you.

I agree too - Earl will scream if you take his bottle away before he needs to be winded lol. I would try more frequent windinf first though as it's easier to judge (what I did) then work out the cue that they need winding.

My daughter is 14 weeks old and over the last few weeks has become increasingly difficult to feed during the second half of her bottle. She guzzles down the first 2-3 oz no problem, however, once I have winded her half way through she will fuss over the remaining 3oz, playing with/chewing the teat, pushing it out with her tongue, turning her head and wriggling in my lap. She is definitely still hungry as she eventually takes it, but it can take up to 50 mins for her to finish a full bottle. She is on Doc Browns level 2 teats which I think are fine for her as the level 3 are too fast. Has anyone had a similar experience?....I am at my wits end here and dreading feeding times!!

Just wanted to say my LO is the same. No idea why he has started doing this...It is a bit of a nightmare! I too thought it might be a wind issue so have started to wind more frequently. We used to wind him every 3oz but found he wasn't having any issues bringing up wind anymore so just used to leave him to drink it and wait until he broke off the teat. I really don't know what is going on now :shrug: I thought it might be an issue of being overtired? Glad that it's not just us though!

i went with shaunanicoles idea and things have improved.

You may also want to check its not silent reflux - alex used to stop after 2oz and refuse and moan and scream. It did end up as reflux!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->