Borderline personality disorder and self harm support thread

Becky123

Mum to Owen Rhys
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has this and how they deal with it.
I was diagnosed 8 years ago when I was 16
Some days are good others are terrible. I found getting tattoos had helped me get my self harming under control strange I know but since having tattoos I havent self harmed much.
I am on loads of meds for it and they are helping.

Just wish these horrible mental illnesses didn't exist

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Sending you big hugs, SH is really difficult to recover from, i hope somebody more experienced can help. Whilst i am doing ok now, between the ages of 11-16 i SH alot, i think it was down to my current home situation though as i haven't since moving out.
Do you have anybody you can confide in? :flower:

Hello. :hugs:

I considered making a thread like this ages ago but I got too scared. :blush:

As far as I know, I don't have borderline personality disorder. The reason I say it like that, though, is because when I was younger (13, I think) I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. Recently, I've been questioning whether or not I was misdiagnosed. I go in next week to get testing done to find out whether it's actually borderline personality disorder that I have. I'm really nervous about that, to be honest.

I also used to self-harm. I started when I was 11 or 12 and did it for about 6 years. It was hard to stop and after stopping for two years I slipped up again last November. Fortunately, it hasn't happened since then.

I don't know if I'll be any help, but if you want to talk, I'm always around. :hugs:

I suffer with depression, not borderline personality but have self harmed and overdosed. Hope you're doing ok hun, it's so hard at times isn't it? :hugs:

*Hugs*
I self harmed for about 6 years. I was 16 when I started and I think from age 17-20, I had serious depression but my old doctor never did anything about it.
I haven't done it in nearly 2 years but the urge is still there sometimes.

More :hugs: for all who've dealt with SH and mental illnesses

Hey, I just thought I'd pop my head in here for a bit as I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder when I was 15 and BPD when I was 19 (I'm 22 now). I started self harming when I was 14 and I still have the odd day where I will half-heartedly try to harm myself :/ Every day is a struggle but medication seems to control some of the symptoms. I have just been switched form Sertraline 200mg to Citalopram 20mg and I was just wondering if any of you have been on Citalopram and what your experiences are?

I have border line personality disorder. Im 17 and have had it for several years. This is going to sound silly, but I found doing things helps. I design webpages, draw, write, garden, cook etc and I make it so I cannot dwell on it.

Hey.. Just wanted to pop in and mention that it IS possible to recover from the addiction of self-harm. It takes a shed load of time, and it's hard, hard work, but you mustn't give up hope. I self-harmed for about 10 years solid from age 14, then on and off for a few more. I'm now 32 and cannot even imagine putting that blade to my skin. I'm a completely different person - so much so that I sometimes can't even believe that that was me.
I know it doesn't really change things to hear this, but I hoped that maybe you'll be inspired by the fact that others have been through it and come out ok. Please don't give up hope.
(oh.. and I'm soon going to publish a book for the Kindle on this subject, so I'll let you know when it's out cos maybe it might help you- :))

I have major depressive disorder. SH'ed from 12-18. Been just over a year for me. I also think that my tattoos have helped, as has my OH and my DD.

I was also anorexic, and still have to remind myself to eat most days, and I had several suicide attempts

I suspect i have BPD. My brother was diagnosed in 2009 and told me his psychologist or whoever told him he should let me know so I can get screened. All the online screenings I've done have said I probably have it, but when i saw the psychologist at my hospital she said it sounded more like bipolar disorder type 2. but she also said she was surprised I didnt have PPD after Adrian was born, right after I finished telling her that I *did* have PPD with Adrian, so.

I also self harmed in high school. Ironically, when i started experimenting with pot after my graduation, I was less depressed and that helped me kick the self harming habit. I haven't cut myself in years. or tried to OD. Though the self harming was tempting during my bout of PPD. I ended up smoking flavoured cigars instead...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->