Bouncy seat, swing or both?

abagailb14

Reaction score
I purchased a portable swing for baby but I'm wondering if she needs a bouncy seat as well? Do you usually buy one or the other or both?

I think it's different for everyone. And each baby may have their own diff preferences. With my first I had a big swing only to start with. My baby hated the swing, and my husband went out to target and bought a $25 bouncer that vibrates. Best purchase ever. My daughter loved it, snoozed in it.... Never used the swing more than twice. Again, I think each baby may have their own preferences though.

We have both since we don't know what baby will prefer

We'll be getting one of each and see if we need another of one or both after the babies get here.

Illinois here too! 😃
We also had both swing and bouncy seat when we had our first. Both were hand me downs so when we had our second we passed the swing along to someone else and kept the bouncy seat.

In the end it all will depend on what your baby prefers. Maybe get both and hang on to the packaging and return one if baby doesn't like it?

We have a swing and a bouncy seat. TBH, we hardly ever used the bouncy seat. Some ppl say they like to put the baby in it while they shower, but i have never felt comfortable doing this, so i never really used it much. The swing was great and helped put our high needs, colicy baby to sleep a number of times, when we needed a break. The seat never got him to sleep, even though it vibrated and had soothing music. Preference will def depend upon your baby. Another baby item i would highly suggest is a jumper...oh my, my boys LOVED their jumper. Obviously you cant use that until they are bigger (~6 or so months) but they truly loved loved loved that thing!

if you are looking to save cost, both items are almost always for sale second hand or at yard sales. That is where we got ours (after researching to make sure it wasn't recalled and such).

I think it's different for everyone. And each baby may have their own diff preferences. With my first I had a big swing only to start with. My baby hated the swing, and my husband went out to target and bought a $25 bouncer that vibrates. Best purchase ever. My daughter loved it, snoozed in it.... Never used the swing more than twice. Again, I think each baby may have their own preferences though.

this ,,,

all the kids hated the swing and here there $100 as compared to a $30 vibrating one so we will be trying the vibrating one first then if doesnt work then the swing.

Never had a swing we just don't have the space for one. Bouncy chairs some are extremely badly designed and don't keep their back straight and crunch their chin forward onto their chest, it seems to be the pricier, plusher ones that can have this problem. We have the cheapest bouncy chair from mothercare, the frame design they have used for over 30 years, I had one with the exact same frame as a baby but its just the fabrics that they vary. It's a very simple design but very comfortable and my youngest loved it. The frame is made of fairly thin tubing so when they are smaller you can slightly bend the frame so it is as close to fully flat as possible and it also has a head support. No toys or vibration features but I have found those to be hit and miss on other bouncers anyway xx

Thanks for all the responses! I think I may stick with the swing for now and if she's a swing-hating baby I'll run out for the bouncy seat :)

Hey we bought both but the swing was so big and so noisy we just took it back... I read somewhere u should use a swing cos it gets them used to being swung to sleep... We just bought a wee simple bouncy chair tht plays music and vibrates..x

we have both from my first son.. we had bought the swing than as a gift some one bought us the bouncy chair.. and he loved both of them :)

I'm going for a bouncy chair! Was told they exercise baby's legs and make th strong ready for jumper and walking xx

I've got both, swing & 2 bouncy chairs. (1 vibrates, 1 is just plain)

you could get a combi one? We got both but both very cheap second hand on Ebay, so I will get rid of whatever she likes less.

We only have a bouncy chair, I've known several people have swings and none of their babies have liked them. They are also quite bulky and we'd rather keep things simple.

The bouncer we got is the BabyBjorn one, because it's only a bouncer - no music, vibrations etc, and it has amazing reviews.

We have both. We have a big swing for the lounge room and a portable bouncer to take places with us, or in other rooms. Worked well with DD, so hopefully DS will be the same.

I am one of the bigges people on 'keeping it simple" (don't use a crib or cot or changing table or anything like that) but I have used both a swing and a bouncy for all my kids. My first loved the bouncy most, and they've all loved the swing (side to side, though, not back and forward).

We only bought a bouncer before ds was born which he loved & got so much use out of. He loved being swung in our arms, so later on we bought a swing which was a complete waste of money as he hated it!!!! Sooo, we shall see whether this next baby feels the same!!!!

We bought a swing for our first, but he didnt like it, so we got a bouncy seat...he loved that, but he soon got too heavy for it, so we then bpught a rocker.

We'll be trialing all three again this time to see which is prefered!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->