Boys Birthweight Important!

ayshahudson

Mum & TTC no.2!
Reaction score
:baby:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7517902.stm

What's a normal birth weight anyway? Is it anything above 5lbs or 6lbs?! :shrug:
Joseph was born 6lbs 11 ounces & everyone keeps telling me that's quite small for a boy...?

My friends little boy was 5lb4oz but they kept him in hospital incase he dropped weight, but that's irrelivant.

New studies kind of bug me. Why do people need to know that?

These things just worry people for no reason. I assume babies within the normal birth weight range will not show any considerable variation in 'vascular resistance', or in blood pressure later on. The research paper doesn't actually specify what they would consider low birth weight, just that they found a correlation in boys between birth weight and certain aspects of cardiovascular physiology (so lower birth weight boys have an increased risk of circulatory disease, high blood pressure later in life - but i'd imagine the risk is higher for people who smoke every day and live in mcdonalds, for example, so nothing worth worrying about).

Sorry if that made no sense - I'm still half asleep. The research article is here...

https://eurheartj.oxfordjournals.or...ht&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT

I'm not sure about birth weight, but I really have to say that it varies as the child grows. As far as I'm aware, caucasian babies tend to be heavier than asian babies as they were always comparing my baby (who is half and half) to an avg. caucasian babies weight and he always measures lower.

These studies, piss me off :hissy: A healthy weight depends on the baby, the culture, the genes....a healthy adult depends on the lifestyle of that person not birth weight...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->