Braces

oliv

Reaction score
Who has had them? Does it hurt? How long did you have to wear them?

When I was younger I fell off my bike and now my two front teeth stick out abit and its one of the main things i have hated about myself. So i decided it was time to do something about it :thumbup:

Will be stalking this thread as i need braces too. I still have 2 baby teeth and they want to extract them and pull down my adult teeth from my gum and put a brace on to pull them into place! :wacko: I went to see the consultant a week on thurs but as i had just found out i was pregnant then they have now postponed the work until bubs is here :)

I had them from age 12 to 18.
It only hurts when they are fresh , you get used to them quickly.

I had them when i was 18, I had to have 4 teeth out before i could get them and that was the part that hurt (once the injection wore off) Braces was fine though

I didn't have them very long compared to some people. I had them when i was 16 for an overbite. I had one on my top teeth which was to make a gap in my front teeth, then this was removed for 6 months and I had the more common "train track" braces, these only also for 6 months. Then i had to wear a retainer all the time for 6 months and then just at night for 6 months.
They don't hurt as such, they take some getting used to in terms of eating etc but once they are settled you will be fine!
xxx

I wore them for a year and a half. The only time I remember discomfort was after each appointment in which they were tightened.

i had 8 teeth pulled out first then 'train tracks' fitted..

it only hurt when they were fresh on & the days they were tightened.. nothing a few pain killers didnt fix. :)
its worth it in the end, i had mine on for 3 years but had quite a big overbite from sucking my thumb or i would of only had them on 6-9 months..

i loved the funky colours you could get, i matched them for each season, just dont have yellow or black. xx

I wore mine for 7 months when I was about 14 i think. My teeth were terrible and it sorted them out as best they could. Think I had a few teeth removed first.
Like other have said, they were painful after they were put on and for a few days after they were tightened every month or so. I used to eat soup and ice-cream for a few days - think of the weight loss!

I'm having braces fitted in October!!!!!

I'm getting the "6 month smile" ones. They are basically just for cosmetic purposes, not to alter the bite. They just change the appearance of the teeth you can see when you smile. It includes whitening. So if its just the front teeth you dont like id recomend them.

I cant wait to get mine on, ive hated my teeth for so long and by April next year il have straight, white teeth yay!xxx

^^ Brookey i thought id researched all the options I hadnt seen them they look good. To answer the original question i had braces for about 18 months as a teen, did a fab job all was perfect then I never wore my retainer and it was wasted, I now have really spaced teeth especially my front two that I hate hate hate all be them now straight. Painful, yes, Very? No its doable.. You just drink soup for a day when they tighten em then u forget theyre there till ur next tightening. Just wear that retainer religiously when they're done or you'll regret it!

^^ Brookey i thought id researched all the options I hadnt seen them they look good. To answer the original question i had braces for about 18 months as a teen, did a fab job all was perfect then I never wore my retainer and it was wasted, I now have really spaced teeth especially my front two that I hate hate hate all be them now straight. Painful, yes, Very? No its doable.. You just drink soup for a day when they tighten em then u forget theyre there till ur next tightening. Just wear that retainer religiously when they're done or you'll regret it!

I think they are the best option if its just for cosmetic reasons.....i may have to have a fixed retainer afterwards.

i had 3 different retainers. the first was top n bottom to correct an underbite, 2nd was the same but just ontop & the last was to close my gap a bit between my top front 2 teeth. was sore slightly when i tightened them & embarrassing to take out to eat but sooo worth it.

Definately :) I literally just need them all pulled together at the front, I'd seen invisalign but that's like 6k, pff! No chance! Hope you get the result you want from them!

I think they are the best option if its just for cosmetic reasons.....i may have to have a fixed retainer afterwards.

i had them as a teen for 1 year just on my top teeth :) not going to lie when they were first put on the first week was hell after that it just felt normal only time it was a tad painful was when you go and have them tightened other than that you forget they are there! I actually quite liked mine had pink in them :haha:

I had mine for four years, top and bottom. Didn't get a retainer afterwards as what they do now when they remove train track braces (and maybe others?) is install a thin wire behind your teeth, which is permanent, and prevents teeth from moving out of their straight appearance xx

mwahahaha I had a 'permanent' wire behind my teeth(lower jaw) and within a month (or shorter) I have fiddled it out with my tongue. Now all what remains there are the glue patches :rofl:

Will be stalking this thread as i need braces too. I still have 2 baby teeth and they want to extract them and pull down my adult teeth from my gum and put a brace on to pull them into place! :wacko: I went to see the consultant a week on thurs but as i had just found out i was pregnant then they have now postponed the work until bubs is here :)

Vicyi- this is exactly what happened with me! I had a baby tooth still, had that removed and the adult tooth exposed which they attached to the brace to bring it down. I used to hate my teeth but I love them now! It was soooo worth doing- I hate that I have to wear my retainer at night but it's worth it :)

OP- I had a brace for 2 years, it wasn't one of the new invisible ones, just the normal ones on the top and bottom, I look quite young anyway so the brace didn't help LOL but it was so worth it for the results. I'm really pleased I had the brace as I love my teeth now it's off! x

I had braces on at 24 for over 2 years..top and bottom
a little bit sore when they were tightened but the best money i have ever spent!!!!!

I had braces on at 24 for over 2 years..top and bottom
a little bit sore when they were tightened but the best money i have ever spent!!!!!

how much did that cost?

I had braces for a couple of years while in middle school. Once you get used to them, they are no biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->