Brand new to the forum

Sancine143

Reaction score
I have been reading alot of the posts and I want to say that its really awesome to have a a bit of a meeting place like this.

I had a 25 week preemie that was born on January 12th, 2012 and is now 57 days old. His name is Benjamin. It has been a pretty smooth NICU stay up until a few weeks ago when he got a urinary tract infection. Had to go back on the ventilator for 4 days then back to nasal cannula which he has been on most of his stay. Now the last 24 hours, he is de-satting quite a bit. He is acting real lethargic and his color seems off. The doctors say that it could be a reaction to his first vaccine shots, which he got just yesterday (whooping cough, polio, hepatitis, diptheria).

My question is, has anyone had a preemie that is now around 33 weeks that had their first vaccines and showed side effects from them? Thanks in advance.

Congrats on your birth. The lethargic looking and colour off. When my lo was like that, he had an infection, and then after that was wen his haemaglobin was low so needed a little blood top up. :) xx My lo was fine with his jags xx

Welcome to the forum! I don't have any experience, but I didn't want to read and run. I hope you're little man recovers, and his home soon! :hugs:

Hi & welcome

My lo had her first set of jabs around 35 weeks but unfortunately the weekend she got them they stopped her caffeine and she got a cold. She started having bad apnoea's and needed neo puffed. They put her on cpap for a day and after that she was totally fine. Not sure if the jabs caused it or a mixture of all 3. De-satting with the jabs is very common with the first set due to them having cld.

I made sure she had her 2nd set before discharge and she handled them much better and basically slept most of the day.

Glad to hear your lo is doing well. Xx

Hi,

My LO had his immunisations at 60 days old and he reacted quite badly. He got a fever and had breathing difficulties.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

He has been doing much better over the last 24 hours. Hardly any de-sats. Still appears a little pale and a little weak but he is anemic and low on hemoglobin. Doctors are giving him iron supplements and don't want to tranfuse unless absolutely neccesary.

Thanks again and God bless everyone and your preemies! They are so tough..

My son was also a 25 weeker, glad to hear your lo is feeling better

Congratulations on Benjamin. We were very similar at that time, and in the end needed a tranfusion. x

Good call Pink. Ben had to be transfused yesterday. He has been diagnosed with state 3 rop and is getting laser tomorrow which means back on the vent for hopefully just a little while. Still having a few de-sats mainly after he eats but they bring him up to about 30% on his canulla and he goes right back to 100 oxy so then back to 21% where he stays for a while.

Holly got her last transfusion when she was transferred at 7 weeks old so not too dissimilar to your lo. She was borderline for needing another one about 36 weeks but they held off as they wanted to give her bone marrow a chance to start producing its own hemoglobin which it thankfully did.

Could he have reflux if he is desatting after feeds?

Hi congratulations on baby Benjamin. I have a 25 weeker he is called Benjamin also :) anyway back to the topic in hand. Benjamin was know as one of the noisy babies with a lot of de sats, blood transfusions used to help him but was the same after feeds and when we got home it turns out he has silent reflux, maybe something to speak to doc about. Benjamin didn't really reduce his de sats until he was around 37 weeks gestation.

These little ppl are so strong xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->