Bras

sproutly2003

Reaction score
I'm going to get measured for a bra tomorrow at m & s but have no clue what to buy. I don't need a nursing bra yet, but do they do maternity bras that aren't nursing? I usually where underwired as am big busted and feel more supported, but apparently underwired are no good. Is that correct?

I found better support from nursing bra's than maternity bras, just cos you don't need access to the boobies yet doesn't mean you can't use a nursing bra. You just need to avoid under wiring, so sports bras could work too and just some every day ones.

I got my maternity bras with my first 2 from mothercare. They were such a great help in there. I've only ever bought nursing bras from m&s but they were very helpful. The maternity bras I had were more supportive as I opted for padded, they felt like they kept me secure. Some of the nursing bras are very flimsy and stretchy and I felt like I had very saggy boobs. Maternity bras don't have underwire but depending on the design, keep you very supported, almost as good as underwired. X

Underwire is a no go in pregnancy as it can block the production of forming milk ducts, which will affect your supply and put u in a world of pain! (Trust me!)
Also you may as well get nursing bras so they last you after the birth otherwise you'll only be wearing them the next 6 months then have to buy others.

I got a couple of maternity bra's from debenhams and they were the most uncomfortable things I have ever worn! had 4 bra's in total and none of them were supportive at all.
I was a 34f pre pregnancy and have gone up a few sizes already.
I know we are not supposed to wear underwired bra's but it is the only thing I can actually wear during the day that gives me any support. as soon as I am home, its straight into a sport bra :)

Like someone else mentioned I used maternity bras from mothercare as they are slightly padded and give me a better shape than non-padded ones. Last preg, I did get a few nursing bras from M&S but thought they were rubbish. The little hook kept ripping off after a bit of wear, and I wasn't impressed. I'd recommend Mothercare though and if you are planning on breastfeeding I'd just get nursing bras to save a bit of expense! No point in buying both if it can be helped!

I got some from mother care and some from m&s last time. Worth paying a little extra I would say. I wore nursing bras rather than maternity bras as could afford both types. :) hot milk do some lovely ones n

Underwire is a no go in pregnancy as it can block the production of forming milk ducts, which will affect your supply and put u in a world of pain! (Trust me!)
Also you may as well get nursing bras so they last you after the birth otherwise you'll only be wearing them the next 6 months then have to buy others.

I didn't know this!

I've not grown out of my normal bras yet... Do I need to change them for non-wired anyway?

Do you buy a size up or something to accommodate your expected growth?

I'm totally naive to this, I know nothing!

X

After the birth you WILL be bigger for milk establishing but by the time bubs a few weeks old it'll settle back down. I went up all through my pregnancy
Pre preg 12a-b
8 weeks got 2x 14b (was in agony from pre preg)
12 weeks got 1x 14c
25 weeks got fitted 14e
And got 3.

Try buy as minimal as u can cos u may go up again in a few weeks.

Oo I think you must have different bra sizes where you are, either that or you have a teeny chest ;-)

I can still fit comfortably into my usual bras, but as soon as I notice them getting tight I will go and buy some non-wired bigger ones. Thank you!

X

When are/ did you all change to maternity bras?

With DD I did it stupidly early and wished I hadn't as missed my bras so much :(

This time round I've stopped eating my normal super padded bras as they're too uncomfortable but I'm still wearing under wire. When do you have to stop by??

With DD I did it stupidly early and wished I hadn't as missed my bras so much :(

This time round I've stopped eating my normal super padded bras as they're too uncomfortable but I'm still wearing under wire. When do you have to stop by??

Well I'm glad you stopped eating your bras!
I changed last time at 8 weeks as my normal ones were causing me agony.

Well I'm glad you stopped eating your bras!
I changed last time at 8 weeks as my normal ones were causing me agony.

Hahaha this made me chuckle, no idea why my phone changed that?! Lol

I never wore maternity bras with my first pregnancy just got larger bras as I needed them...went for like three fittings I think haha!
I have large boobs so I HAD to wear wire the whole pregnancy...even my nursing bras were wire. As long as they fit properly you shouldn't have problems. I had a very large supply of milk too so no problems there.
I have never found a non wire bra that gave anything close to the support I need :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->