Braxton hicks or Contractions?

Nina83

Cherry Garcia
Reaction score
Stupid FTM question…
How do I know if these are BH or contractions?

Do they make you feel like you are going to die an agonizing death? Can you talk through them? Consistency?

Can always be early labor too!!

I'm FTM too but my Dr told me BH will go away with changing positions, drinking water, or walking a bit.
Real contractions are consistent and get more intense/closer together in spite of doing any of the things listed above.

I've had two bouts of pre term labor - I would time them the first time they started they got more intense over two hours and by the time I was at L&D they were every 5 minutes even though I had tried resting, walking, drinking water... The second time they were 2 minutes apart after 3 hours and I had to have medication to stop them.

Try timing them for an hour, if they are consistent and/or get closer to together more intense then I'd call your Dr or MW.

OK, thanks.
I know I'm not going into labor. But isn't there also something called false contractions? Or is that just a fancy name for BH?
Everything contraction like before actually going into labor is BH?
A lot of women I know here who are expecting (on a different forum) are saying for a few months already that they have contractions.
I said my belly gets really hard a lot and sometimes painful and was told they're just BH.
So, am I missing something? :shrug:

My early labour contractions didn't hurt much, I could easily talk through them, I mistook them for period cramping at first but they soon picked up and I certainly knew I was in labour.

As FTM i was told same as post above - i didnt follow that though.

My BH hurt, they were timeable, drinking didnt help nor did walking.

Ive had 3 BH sessions of 4hrs worth every 4-5mins lasting 40sec then bam stopped.
I also in slow labour for 2w with my first.

Simple answer is : you will know.

The pain is so different and very intense.

OK, thanks.
I know I'm not going into labor. But isn't there also something called false contractions? Or is that just a fancy name for BH?
Everything contraction like before actually going into labor is BH?
A lot of women I know here who are expecting (on a different forum) are saying for a few months already that they have contractions.
I said my belly gets really hard a lot and sometimes painful and was told they're just BH.
So, am I missing something? :shrug:

They say BH do nothing to your body.
Where as false labour contractions will help soften/dilate the cervix.

I think some women do mistaken BH as contractions.

The difference between BH and contractions are that contractions are regular, and are usually more painful. The general rule is if you have 4 or more BH in one hour you should call the hospital to make sure it's not labour.

I am a second time mom and I can't tell the difference either lol! I have been having them since 16 weeks and it doesn't feel like the contractions I had when I was induced last time, but they do hurt. Last pregnancy the told me I was having contractions once they hooked me up the monitor (my induction day) but I couldn't feel anything- so honestly I don't really know what a natural contractions feels like! I haven't dilated as of yet, so I guess mine are just braxton hicks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->