Breast feeding benefits how long

..marie..

Reaction score
Please no judgment or nasty comments,my son was formula fed he had nutrophenia at age 6months-2 years old which is an immune system problem where his white blood cells were always low so would be in hosp time after time with infections,he also suffers from glue ear,so I feel like I have to breast feed my baby when it's born to give it all the benefits they say about in the hope my next born won't have the same issues as my son,only thing is I don't want to breast feed exclusively for 6 months how long do you think I could do it to gain the benefits or does it only work if you do it for 6months I have my reasons why I don't want to do it that long I think its fantastic the people who do but it's not for me any advice please

Every drop of breastmilk helps your child. Every bit you can give them is better than none. Although it is strongly recommended to exclusively breastfeed for the first 6 months, even exclusively breastfeeding for the first 2-3 would be great and then supplementing as needed after. Obviously, the later you can delay anything besides breastmilk is best. Babies' guts are not fully developed (something about open gut).

Again, every drop is great for them. I would suggest planning to exclusively breastfeed as long as you can (it's easier before you have to work if you have to go back to work) and then only add formula when you HAVE to. i.e. Go into it with the attitude that you are going to exclusively breastfeed as long as you can, and you will add formula later, and you may find yourself having less trouble exclusively breastfeeding than you thought! If not, you got as far as you good and did worlds of good for your LO.

Hope that helped! Just letting you know, every bit you can is better than none. The benefits never quit being worth the work though, even into toddlerhood and early childhood. I'm sure you are aware the AAP recommends exclusive breastfeeding until 6 months, and continuing to breastfeed with complimentary foods until at least 1 year. The World Health Organization says exclusive 6 months, with complimentary foods until at least 2 years or beyond.

Every drop helps :flower:

Every drop of breastmilk helps your child. Every bit you can give them is better than none. Although it is strongly recommended to exclusively breastfeed for the first 6 months, even exclusively breastfeeding for the first 2-3 would be great and then supplementing as needed after. Obviously, the later you can delay anything besides breastmilk is best. Babies' guts are not fully developed (something about open gut).

Again, every drop is great for them. I would suggest planning to exclusively breastfeed as long as you can (it's easier before you have to work if you have to go back to work) and then only add formula when you HAVE to. i.e. Go into it with the attitude that you are going to exclusively breastfeed as long as you can, and you will add formula later, and you may find yourself having less trouble exclusively breastfeeding than you thought! If not, you got as far as you good and did worlds of good for your LO.

Hope that helped! Just letting you know, every bit you can is better than none. The benefits never quit being worth the work though, even into toddlerhood and early childhood. I'm sure you are aware the AAP recommends exclusive breastfeeding until 6 months, and continuing to breastfeed with complimentary foods until at least 1 year. The World Health Organization says exclusive 6 months, with complimentary foods until at least 2 years or beyond.

Every drop helps :flower:

I couldn't have said it better. Don't feel bad if you need to give formula, but every drop you can give is beneficial! :)

6 months is used because that's how long it is before their gut is developed and becomes closed , before that breast milk helps "coat" the digestive tract to help prevent allergens and other thins from getting through.

If you can do 6 moths then anything you can do is great the benefits are good as long as baby is getting breastmilk

Hun, as others have said ANY breastmilk is better than none. Whether u do one week, month or hey u might surprise yourself and do a year! :flower:

Thanks ladies I'm just Guna go for as long as I can but atleast I'm trying

As everyone above said any breastmilk is beneficial! I FF my first but was determined to BF this baby....but I didnt pressure myself, went into it with the attitude that any breastmilk was better than none & that Id give formula if needed.....6 weeks in & its been so much easier than I thought! We are flying it & she hasnt had formula! I dont have an end goal, Ill just keep breastfeeding as long as it works for us all!

Every drop helps, especially the colostrum at first. It can be so hard at first but it does get so much easier. Six months is good but it doesn't have to be all or nothing, every day helps :)

I only planned on breastfeeding for 4 months! I'm still doing it at 10 so you might surprise yourself. I certainly did. As others have said, every drop helps. Get through the first week, it's very tough, but it becomes soooo much easier. Good luck xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->