Breast feeding mummies

MustBeMummy

Reaction score
Last night I had a feeling I had left something out of my hospital bag. Mother in law said formula in case I cant bf. Is anyone else doing this? Do u think its worth it?

Nope. I didn't with my first and won't with my second. It may take a couple of days for your milk to come in and a couple of days for baby to latch.

I expressed my colostrum and that was enough for baby - they just need a few drops every two hours, and will progress once your milk comes in. I had a cs, and my milk was in by the third day, and the same day DS latched successfully.

Formula wasn't even offered to me by my hospital, they just kept shoving my baby onto my boobs!

If you are intent on breastfeeding, speak to a lactation consultant before delivery and schedule time with her/him post partum (even if you think breastfeeding is going well, it's always good to talk to someone and make sure the latch is correct).

No need. Milk doesn't come in for a few days, all babies need at first is collostrum. Best rule for successful breastfeeding- confidence in yourself and no formula in reach!! :)

Nope, you don't need it. If for any reason there is a problem and you can't feed your baby for some reason, all UK hospitals do have formula. They won't offer it to you if you are simply choosing not to BF, but if you are medically advised to top up BF with formula as a supplement (btw, I'd strongly recommend NOT doing this unless it's an absolute emergency), they will supply ready-made formula it in small quantities. My daughter wouldn't latch for 6 days and I had a hard time hand expressing/with milk coming in, so was advised to supplement with formula for about 48 hours because my daughter was losing weight (wish I hadn't but that's another story). They all but forced it down her throat (and this was at a UNICEF 'baby-friendly' hospital). More than likely you won't need it at all! And even if you did and you wanted to use your own, you can always send your partner out to a 24 hour Tesco for some ready-made formula (they even have it in pre-sterilised disposable bottles for use at the hospital). There's no reason to stock up on something you don't want to use and very likely won't need anyway.

Nope in the states if you need formula they supply it and even give you some to take home if you need it...art my hospital they tend to immediately assume y your not breast feeding and try to bottle feed so you have to tell the staff ahead of time no bottles or else they'll do whatever they wasn't with your baby.

I'm not taking any. Remember - a newborn has a belly the size of a marble. Your little bit of colostrum will be sufficient x

i asked about this last night on a hospital tour and they said they would try everything to get the baby to breastfeed but if it really isn't working they would provide some formula, i haven't bought any bottles etc to try and stop me from giving in too easily!

if you're really worried you could ring your hospital and see if they do the same

Thank you all. I didnt intend on doing it but when mil mentioned it, it made me think. I have bottles and pump tho so hubby can still enjoy feeding him every now n then.
Thanks for the advice.

Nope, you don't need it. If for any reason there is a problem and you can't feed your baby for some reason, all UK hospitals do have formula. They won't offer it to you if you are simply choosing not to BF, but if you are medically advised to top up BF with formula as a supplement (btw, I'd strongly recommend NOT doing this unless it's an absolute emergency), they will supply ready-made formula it in small quantities. My daughter wouldn't latch for 6 days and I had a hard time hand expressing/with milk coming in, so was advised to supplement with formula for about 48 hours because my daughter was losing weight (wish I hadn't but that's another story). They all but forced it down her throat (and this was at a UNICEF 'baby-friendly' hospital). More than likely you won't need it at all! And even if you did and you wanted to use your own, you can always send your partner out to a 24 hour Tesco for some ready-made formula (they even have it in pre-sterilised disposable bottles for use at the hospital). There's no reason to stock up on something you don't want to use and very likely won't need anyway.

Thats exactly what hubby said. "Theres a 24 hour asda near us so why do we need to pack thst" lol
I must admit I dont think id fit it in my bag now! Its fit to burst lol

Nope nope! :)

I tell ya, my first boy was a bit of a nightmare being born with a broken collarbone. If something like that happens (it's rare!) you just hand express your colostrum into cups or a syringe.

There is no need for formula. If God forbid something actually happened to you, then they would either use donor milk or supply formula (they always keep it for medical reasons).

The nurses just helped me express colostrum into a syringe & fed that to baby, your milk won't come in for 3-4 days after the birth.

Honestly, I packed so much crap for baby, when all I really needed was nappies, cotton wool, 3 vests & 3 onsies.

I didn't bring any formula with me. I went in empty handed and somehow knew that I would be able to nurse. It was a learning curve in the beginning, but you will have exactly what the baby needs :)

Nope... Been feeding for 48 hours baby is latching really well and my milk is starting to come in now I think... He's been latching and feeding on colostrum for 30 mins at a time... He's happy and full for now... Doing well...
If u take anything it will just make h doubt yourself

No need. Milk doesn't come in for a few days, all babies need at first is collostrum. Best rule for successful breastfeeding- confidence in yourself and no formula in reach!! :)

Agreed!!! If it's not available, it won't be so temping to use.

I dont really think I will be tempted as ive never even thought about formula feeding. Just hope I can manage to do it.

I dont really think I will be tempted as ive never even thought about formula feeding. Just hope I can manage to do it.

I would've said the same thing too but most girls who breastfeed will have moments of doubt and reach for a bottle. It's like saying you won't even ask for an epidural because you want a natural birth. it's far harder than people think and people break.

And that's a shame, because having formula fed my 1st (and completely underestimating how hard breastfeeding is to establish) and breastfed my 2nd without a single problem, I have to say breastfeeding is so much easier, if you can make it past the first week.

Good luck! :)

I was super excited about bf and glad I didn't bring formula with me 'just in case' because that first day at the hospital after like 12 hours of endless feeding and an almost inconsolable newborn I thought, oh whatever, perhaps she's hungry and needs the formula! Really what she needed was to sleep but of course I didn't know that at the time...

I didn't pack any. Our hospital had ready-made formula on hand in case it was needed, but I was able to establish breastfeeding quite well within a day of my Section. DD had an issue with latching at first, so I pumped colostrum into a nipple and gave it to her that way, and then the following day she was latching like a pro!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->