Breast Pump - Ameda or Medela?

MamaFlick

Reaction score
I can choose between the following two breast pumps. Cost isn't an issue since insurance is covering it. I included all the notes that the durable medical company provided on the form.

Option 1: Medela Personal Double Pump (MY57038)
Personal-use pump for single and double pumping
AC operation and adjustable vacuum
Compact motor carrying bag with a mesh pocket
Double pumping kit with:
24 mm PersonalFit breast shields
2 breast milk bottles with lids

Option 2: Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump CarryAll (AD17084)
1 hand pump assembly
Carry all bag
Cool 'n' Carry tote with 6-4oz bottles
DC Capable with internal compartment for 6 AA batteries

I am mostly going to be using my pump at work during breaks. I'm hoping that whichever one I get will not be super loud, since we don't really have a designated breast pumping area and I'll just be in a stall in the bathroom.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

I would go with the Medela. I had one with DS and they are fabulous. I have never heard of someone not liking theirs. They are just a good product. I don't know anything about the other brand. All my friends used the Medela ones. I can't tell by your description but is the Ameda just a hand pump? If so, my experience was that hand pumping took FOREVER where with the electric pump it went much faster. I pumped at work last time and will this time again, and I can say 100% I won't be hand pumping because it just takes too long.

As for sound, I will say that it feels like the pump is super loud. That said, my coworker just stopped pumping and with her door closed, I couldn't hear it standing right outside the door. I think the one you are thinking about is the same one she had.

I can't tell by your description but is the Ameda just a hand pump? If so, my experience was that hand pumping took FOREVER where with the electric pump it went much faster. I pumped at work last time and will this time again, and I can say 100% I won't be hand pumping because it just takes too long.

They are both double electric pumps. :)

I am trying to figure it out also. My hospital carries the Medela so that would be the only one Insurance reimburses me for but I have read that the milk can get backed up in the tubes can can cause mold growth and then you would have to buy new tubes b/c some of the reviews on amazon about it said they called customer service and they told them to buy new tubes or get a new pump but maybe they have corrected that issue IDK but I am going to more than likely go with the Medela and hope it last for 6 months.

Also from what I read the ameda does not have the milk backing up problem that creates the mold but there is a part that you do not scrub with a brush or it ruins it.

I have the medela. I haven't used it yet but I took a long time to do research and felt this was the best. With the pump I have (freestyle) you can take everything a part and flush the tubing with steriliser so that should help any issues of back up.
Mine was £225 for the double pump,shields,carry case, 4xbottles with insulator case and calma teat which is great for bottle-breast-bottle feeding. Not sure what that works out as in other currencies but I was pleased with the price.

With Medela milk can get into the motor and cause mold and for the unit to stop working. However there is a back up prevention filter made by a company called spectra whose breastpumps have a lot of compatible parts with both Ameda and Medela and I don't see any reason why this part could not be used somehow with a Medela pump. I have also heard that Medela and generic to fit Medela collection kits and tubing can be used with Ameda pumps, I do know that generics designed for Medela will work because my local SCBU use generic kits with their Ameda engell pumps and when I looked up the kit in question they can be used on Ameda, Medela and some other companies pumps, they lack the 'top hat' membrane which is the only thing that makes Ameda closed system. This does make me wonder if in reverse, an Ameda collection kit could perhaps be used with a Medela pump and the 'top hat' would then render the Medela as closed system? Personally if its free via your insurance I would go for the Ameda for various reasons, their products are more durable, they are already a closed system, and they haven't been implicated in some of the dishonest and non-WHO code compliant marketing practices that Medela have. There have been quite a few reports of mums being bullied by 'lactation consultants' in hospital in the US, and being told they and their baby will not be discharged until they purchase a specific Medela pump. Xx

The Medela model your insurance offers is not a great one...honestly. It doesn't have the let-down feature that the Commercial pump in style does, and a few other things. I'd probably go with the other, but each persons body reacts different to different pumps. I rotate between the pump in style (Medela) and the avent double electric. The models my insurance offers do not suit me, so I didn't get them.

I used the Ameda Purely Yours with DD1. I work in a law office and was able to pump in my office with not too much noise being heard outside. I will tell you though that no matter what pump you buy, there will be some noise. I pumped 2-3 times per day in the office with it and was pleased with the results, always had ample supply generated to keep bubs fed purely on breastmilk without having to supplement.

I was turned off from the Medela because of the mold issues that some reviewers complained about, but I have read others that are very happy with their Medela, only I think they had the Pump in Style version.

My plan is to use my Ameda after this baby is here also, so long as the motor lasts, haha!

I am trying to figure it out also. My hospital carries the Medela so that would be the only one Insurance reimburses me for but I have read that the milk can get backed up in the tubes can can cause mold growth and then you would have to buy new tubes b/c some of the reviews on amazon about it said they called customer service and they told them to buy new tubes or get a new pump but maybe they have corrected that issue IDK but I am going to more than likely go with the Medela and hope it last for 6 months.

Also from what I read the ameda does not have the milk backing up problem that creates the mold but there is a part that you do not scrub with a brush or it ruins it.

I used my Medela for a year and have several friends who used theirs for the same and none of us ever had that problem. You do have to clean the tubes occasionally, but as long as you take care of it, I can't imagine that would be a problem.

Many consumers have broken open their motor units of the Medela they have after it stopped working and found it full of black mould, maybe it doesn't happen after a year but for it to happen after any period of time isn't good. It only takes a tiny diaghpram inside the collection kit or extra bit to the tubing to render a pump closed system so it is surprising Medela don't adopt this. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->