Breast Pump through insurance

TTDuck

Reaction score
So I've been looking into getting a breast pump through my insurance (US) and they are very limited on choices since I have to go through an approved direct supplier. The Medela pump I can get isn't offered commercially, so I'm not sure how it compares to the Medela pumps that seem to have good reviews (not to mention you don't get all the nice features like a backpack carry bag). I can get the Ameda Purely Yours and a couple other brands.

Have any of you ladies gotten a breast pump through insurance? Which brand did you get? How do you like it? Do the non-commercially available pumps compare in quality to the retail versions?

Thanks so much for any feedback! I'm having my first baby so simple things like a breast pump seem hard to choose! I'll be working full time after maternity leave so I need something reliable!

I got a Lucina Melodi Advanced through my insurance. I didn't like it.

The Medela Advanced (probably the model you are referring to) I was told by my Medela endorsed Lactation Consultant is like the Pump in Style Advanced, without the "In Style"....So it's just an Advanced. It is what they give out through WIC and insurance.

I ended up buying a Dr. Brown's Simplisse and I love it to death.

The Medela Advanced (probably the model you are referring to) I was told by my Medela endorsed Lactation Consultant is like the Pump in Style Advanced, without the "In Style"....So it's just an Advanced. It is what they give out through WIC and insurance.

I've been leaning towards the Medela Advanced because I've heard good things about the Medela pumps. The Dr Brown's seem really nice so maybe I'll look into that if the one I get through insurance doesn't work for me!

Agree with this ^^. I have used both and I believe they are literally the same contraption and both work extremely well, imo. My advice is to save the money you might try to spend on a non-insured pump and play around with your shield size/accessories instead.

I've been leaning towards the Medela Advanced because I've heard good things about the Medela pumps. The Dr Brown's seem really nice so maybe I'll look into that if the one I get through insurance doesn't work for me!

I have used the Medela Symphony, I had to use it to bring in my supply since my baby was born preemie. I also have rented it the past two weeks before buying the Simplisse. The Simplisse just works totally different, it is not painful at all. It doesn't just vacuum suck your nipples like the traditional types. And, my output with the Simplisse is equal to (ever so slightly more, actually) the hospital grade Symphony. I don't dread pumping anymore. I used to hate it. I was freaking out wondering how I was going to do this 3x a day for the next year...now I don't dread it at all! :happydance:

I have used the Medela Symphony, I had to use it to bring in my supply since my baby was born preemie. I also have rented it the past two weeks before buying the Simplisse. The Simplisse just works totally different, it is not painful at all. It doesn't just vacuum suck your nipples like the traditional types. And, my output with the Simplisse is equal to (ever so slightly more, actually) the hospital grade Symphony. I don't dread pumping anymore. I used to hate it. I was freaking out wondering how I was going to do this 3x a day for the next year...now I don't dread it at all! :happydance:

That sounds lovely. I'll have to find an opportunity to test out the Simplisse.

No advice here but I just ordered the medela pump through my insurance as well. I love my medela swing single pump but with exclusively pumping it takes a lot of time to pump one breast at once :haha:

I probably the same options, and I went with the Medela. I agree with pp about it being the same as the pump in style. Honestly, I like mine (as much as you can like a pump, I guess).

My options were crummy through insurance, so I just chose one and sold it on eBay, then bought the pump I wanted with the proceeds. Kind of a pain, but still an option.

I started out with rentung the symphony because of her being a preemie and having to establish supply by pumping. It worked great! I got an Ameda purely yours through insurance and don't like it.. It gets the job done but I have trouble with let down, etc... An it seems poorly made. I just borrowed my sisters pump in style, only used it once so far, but it seemed better than the ameda... Kind of in between the ameda and the symphony. I'd go with the Medela through insurance. If you find it doesn't work for you thn jut go ahead and buy a better one, you would have had to without the insurance pump anyhow!

Good luck!

We got the Ameda Purely Yours through our insurance. It works well whenever I use it, but I tend to EBF and only use it when I leave LO with daddy or grandparents for a couple of hours. If you are ordering through Edgepark make sure you keep on top of your order. My LO was born a week early and spent 6 days in the NICU. We ordered the pump on February 5th and was told it would be home within 3 days. Two weeks later we called and they had lost our order. It ended up taking us two months before we saw the pump... I used a Medela manual pump before that. To be honest, I got more with the manual than I ever have with the electric. It takes muscle power, but it is quiter and more efficient for me at least.

I just received my breast pump through insurance for free & although I haven't used it yet, it is already having problems. What did you not like about the pump & what could you do?

Thanks so much for your help!

I just received my breast pump through insurance for free & although I haven't used it yet, it is already having problems. What did you not like about the pump & what could you do?

Thanks so much for your help!

It's funny you bring this post back up. I ended up eventually hating the Simplesse and now use the Lucina Advance again!

It is slow. The cycles per minute are not as fast as the simplesse or the medela. I took some getting used to. Also, when I went to buy new parts, I bought Ameda parts, they work the same way as the lucina ones and fit the pump. I was able to get some better fitting ones for a lower price so I got two sets.

What are you have problems with on yours? What brand is it and style?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->