Breast too full- nursing issues?

tamina800

Reaction score
Hi
I just gave birth 5 days ago. My daughter nursed like a champ the first 3 days. Latched immediately and I was super happy. But on the 4th day, she started refusing the left breast and today she would not nurse at all. She would try to latch, and then just turn away. Even if she did latch, she would suck once and let it go.
I have a lot of milk and my breasts look big right now. I have noticed that it has made my nipple slightly flatter on one side and completely flat on the other. Could this be a reason for her refusal to latch? I'm sure there are lots of women with flat nipples who nurse successfully?i also noticed her nose was running a teeny bit this morning. But when she sleeps, she breathes through her nose. Could the fact that her nose as running a bit also cause her to not want to nurse at all?
Please let me know if you have any thoughts. I bought nipple shells today..does anyone use those to pop their nipples out? Did it work with your baby?

I had this problem with DD when my milk first came in. The 2 things that helped me were to pump a bit of milk before attempting to latch. Only enough so that I could make the sandwich shape with my breast - once my breast was less full the nipple returned to normal. I did also use nipple shields that weekend because in her frustration DD had left me red raw so they protected me until the breasts were less engorged.

You're only day 5 so it will just be the milk coming in - it does get better!

Very common. I always liken it to trying to bite a balloon! Like pp said just express or pump off a little till the breast is a bit less tight right behind the nipple. It doesn't have to be loads (plus you don't want to increase your supply more) just till the nipple is able to stick out a bit more.

Yes women with inverted/flat nipples can nurse (although some find it tricky) but that is because baby doesn't need to attach to the nipple, they need to get a mouthful of areola and breast tissue. This is actually the bit that baby finds hard when breasts are over engorged - it isn't so much that the nipple isn't sticking out but more that the tissue behind and around it is large and stiff.

If its engorgement try reverse pressure softening to allow baby to get a grip. It really worked for me at that stage xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->