breastfed babies result in better behaved children?

Also could it be due to maternal attachment as bottle-fed LOs can be fed by family members etc while BFing is down to the mom alone and as Emma said you spend AGES BFing. Studies on maternal attachment and maternal deprivation show that it is a HUGE factor on how children behave. So if this is the basis of their argument, then I can believe it it. I still want to see more! Lol

I wondered this too. Also that purely because of the position they are held in, breastfed babies have to stay focussed when they feed (or else they pull off the boob to have a look around) whereas bottle fed children can be fed whilst being entertained/having a look round. This could produce a difference in concentration levels, surely?

To me the big question is WHY? Is it to do with bonding? IMO BF is much more complex than providing nutrition. There are physiological and psychological processes that occur when BFing eg everytime I BF I feel giddy almost, I want to weep, shout with joy etc its weird. Does this help with creating a strong bond? There are studies which show BF LOs are more content and maybe this is a follow on. I would like to see a more thorough report though the article is very basic.

so because Ellie couldnt be fed any other way than by tube for 5 weeks she has less bond than a baby who is BF???

Also could it be due to maternal attachment as bottle-fed LOs can be fed by family members etc while BFing is down to the mom alone and as Emma said you spend AGES BFing. Studies on maternal attachment and maternal deprivation show that it is a HUGE factor on how children behave. So if this is the basis of their argument, then I can believe it it. I still want to see more! Lol

I wondered this too. Also that purely because of the position they are held in, breastfed babies have to stay focussed when they feed (or else they pull off the boob to have a look around) whereas bottle fed children can be fed whilst being entertained/having a look round. This could produce a difference in concentration levels, surely?

I'm not having a dig to the 2 posts above, I'm just putting forward another perspective but Molly had to come off of the breast at 5 days and go on to formula. I am the only one and still the only one to give her a bottle. I also hold her like she was when I was BF and don't let her pull away. If she does get distracted then the bottle doesn't 'go with her', I pull it out until she turns to face it again. I never walk around with her with a bottle, give it to her unaided etc. I treat it like a breast. Please don't assume that FF mums let their child do whatever they want when it comes to feeding as this isn't always the case. Also, Molly has always taken ages with a feed, sometimes an hour, so just as long as BF. Every parent and child is different, there are lots of factors at play here with this 'research'.

They never give us the detailed info on these studies, who were the people involved. What about the background of the families, which I am sure is far more important than the method of feeding. I have a child with ADHD and Aspergers, his psychologist told me that ADHD is far less prevalent in the so called 'middle class' demographic. Make of that what you will.
I absolutely hate this 'breastfeeding is the bestfeeding' propaganda. It serves no purpose than to make bottle feeders feed bad. So many other factors are more important than the method of feeding. Love, emotional nourishment, encouragement and stability!
And yes I am a breastfeeding mum and am currently feeding my 5th child.

I'm not having a dig to the 2 posts above, I'm just putting forward another perspective but Molly had to come off of the breast at 5 days and go on to formula. I am the only one and still the only one to give her a bottle. I also hold her like she was when I was BF and don't let her pull away. If she does get distracted then the bottle doesn't 'go with her', I pull it out until she turns to face it again. I never walk around with her with a bottle, give it to her unaided etc. I treat it like a breast. Please don't assume that FF mums let their child do whatever they want when it comes to feeding as this isn't always the case. Also, Molly has always taken ages with a feed, sometimes an hour, so just as long as BF. Every parent and child is different, there are lots of factors at play here with this 'research'.

Ahh sorry I didn't mean to sound like I assumed all formula feeding Mums propped the bottle while the baby watched TV or anything :dohh: I just mean even if the baby is able to lie on its back scanning the room while feeding it is different to a baby who has to lie facing its mother as obviously it is difficult to get in any other position while breastfeeding.

I actually meant that feeding in both ways takes a long time, and that is why it will produce differences, as either way takes a substantial amount of a baby's first few months.

Not meaning to offend anyone, I'm not sure why either way would produce better/worse results, I'm just not surprised that there is a difference as it is such a huge part of a baby's life, so I can see how a difference would produce different characteristics.

Hope that makes sense!

I do hope we dont get upset by this and try and look at it objectively.

bar the first week of my life I was a ff baby, and have turned out well! so ofcourse there are many MANY people who have turned out exceptionally well on formula. (wink wink).
As there are people who are breastfed.

I was more interested on WHY these differences have been found, if they are worth looking at. and personal experience is always interesting to hear.

But please all this is not supposed to be a dig at how anyone feeds their babes.

No - I am not going to answer your question Claire because I am not trying to make this a BF vs FF debate. I am simply trying to make sense of the article viz-a-viz my own experiences and previous studies. If I start by pacifying you now I will be doing it the entire thread. I hope you don't take it the wrong way though - I am a lovely person that means no harm xxx

Ahh sorry I didn't mean to sound like I assumed all formula feeding Mums propped the bottle while the baby watched TV or anything :dohh: I just mean even if the baby is able to lie on its back scanning the room while feeding it is different to a baby who has to lie facing its mother as obviously it is difficult to get in any other position while breastfeeding.

I actually meant that feeding in both ways takes a long time, and that is why it will produce differences, as either way takes a substantial amount of a baby's first few months.

Not meaning to offend anyone, I'm not sure why either way would produce better/worse results, I'm just not surprised that there is a difference as it is such a huge part of a baby's life, so I can see how a difference would produce different characteristics.

Hope that makes sense!

I completely understand your post and point. Molly faces me only when feeding, luckily I have no boobs so can get a bottle 'down there' so she doesn't get distracted, she would if I let her :dohh:

The people who made these studies pick there test subjects to give them the result they want.

Id like to know if any of the FF babys were ever BF or have they picked the small amount of FF babys whos mothers FF so they can palm the babys off onto some one else while they go back out on the piss or dump them with friends or grandparents.

Interesting.

Although it will obviously be dismissed immediately by the public, I can believe it. Not that a breastfed baby would be better behaved, but that there would be obvious differences in the behaviour of a baby that has been formula fed to a baby that has been breastfed. Or more accurately a baby that has been bottled fed. I don't think it has anything to do with what is in the bottle/breast, I think it is to do with the act. Feeding your child is such a regular, time consuming act, particularly in the early days, so I can believe that the way in which you do this will have an effect on that baby (not necessarily that one is better than the other, just that each way will reflect diferently within the child).

^^^ I mostly agree with this.

Although as I understood the article (from The Times website), the difference in behaviour *is* down to nutrition, as the fatty acids present in breastmilk stimulate the development of the part of the brain responsible for learning and concentration and so behaviour.

I only have one baby and have only breastfed her, so I have a very limited experience- but I have found that we bond mostly when we are playing and she is exploring and learning. I've never really felt big rushes of love while feeding, they come at different times for me. But I do love the cuddles :haha:

To me the big question is WHY? Is it to do with bonding? IMO BF is much more complex than providing nutrition. There are physiological and psychological processes that occur when BFing eg everytime I BF I feel giddy almost, I want to weep, shout with joy etc its weird. Does this help with creating a strong bond? There are studies which show BF LOs are more content and maybe this is a follow on. I would like to see a more thorough report though the article is very basic.

so because Ellie couldnt be fed any other way than by tube for 5 weeks she has less bond than a baby who is BF???

Claire, some reassurance, Ellie will have a great bond with you, you're her mum afterall!! My aunt had her twins 3 months early, both of which couldn't be touched for 2 months by their mum, were tube fed and then straight on to bottle. One is the biggest mummy's boy I have ever met and his sister can literally get away with murder, their mum would do anything for them, absolutely anything and they have a great relationship. So don't worry about 1 article :hugs:

No - I am not going to answer your question Claire because I am not trying to make this a BF vs FF debate. I am simply trying to make sense of the article viz-a-viz my own experiences and previous studies. If I start by pacifying you now I will be doing it the entire thread. I hope you don't take it the wrong way though - I am a lovely person that means no harm xxx

im not either its just no one at all understands how hard it is not being able to cuddle your baby let alone BF your baby unless you have been in tha situation but no one takes it into consideration thats all, def didnt think that you were being nasty all :nope: its just upsetting sometimes xx

Claire, some reassurance, Ellie will have a great bond with you, you're her mum afterall!! My aunt had her twins 3 months early, both of which couldn't be touched for 2 months by their mum, were tube fed and then straight on to bottle. One is the biggest mummy's boy I have ever met and his sister can literally get away with murder, their mum would do anything for them, absolutely anything and they have a great relationship. So don't worry about 1 article :hugs:

yeah she def is a mummys girl already but as you will understand with your aunts situation its just upsetting when people say in articles you wont have this and you wont have that cause you didnt BF, I couldnt BF so there is a diff, thanks though :hugs: xx

Completely hun, we don't have 'good' pregnancies in my family so I understand. :hugs:

The people who made these studies pick there test subjects to give them the result they want.

The team used a nationwide survey of infants born in a 12-month period in 2000–2001 called the Millennium Cohort Study. This cohort study, for which the data are openly available, involved carrying out home interviews with parents when their children were 9 months old, with further follow-up interviews roughly every two years.

The Oxford researchers included data for over 9,500 mothers and babies born at full term to families of white ethnic background. They used answers from the initial interview when the children were 9 months old to determine whether mothers had breastfed and how long for.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_stories/2011/111005.html

Seems like a large study to me and certainly not one which is focussed on breastfeeding alone.

Emma- yeah that crossed my mind because you have some (NOT ALL!) bottle-fed LOs who are fed whilst moms are doing other things, or LO is in a bouncer etc whereas with BF you have to hold close to body and usually make eye contact etc. Also have you read on Bowlby's theory of maternal deprivation as with a bottle-fed LO can spend few days away from mom but BFers you are almost always there. Incidentally, I worked FT(but BFd) when DD was a baby but I wonder if that affected our bond given Bowlby's theory.

im not either its just no one at all understands how hard it is not being able to cuddle your baby let alone BF your baby unless you have been in tha situation but no one takes it into consideration thats all, def didnt think that you were being nasty all :nope: its just upsetting sometimes xx

:hugs: It must be awful :nope: we're only talking objectively but I can understand how you'd take offense. I can definitely say none was intended by anyone though (huggermom is definitely definitely not the kind of person who would be mean!).

:hugs: It must be awful :nope: we're only talking objectively but I can understand how you'd take offense. I can definitely say none was intended by anyone though (huggermom is definitely definitely not the kind of person who would be mean!).

thanks I really dont take offence angrily its more emotionally as its all still very raw in our house with Ellie as she has so many health problems, some we know of some we are still waiting on results, that mean we cant do what parents do with their full termers and she is also in and out fo hospital alot xx

I don't know many children for comparison but I was formula fed and was a good child except for being a fussy eater.

I can't get the article to come up on my phone, but I wonder if they've taken social circumstances into account? I've read articles in the past that more educated and mature parents tend to be more likely to try and persevere with breastfeeding, while less educated or teenage mums etc tend to opt more for formula. Before anyone blasts me I know this is NOT the case for everyone and that formula feed.g doesn't mean you fit into any particular social group.

Anyway, the social group that is most likely to choose bf is also the social group more likely to work on instilling discipline and education in their children, so maybe its the parenting situation rather than the affect of the milk? (again, not applying one rule to all - I know being a teenage mum doesn't automatically mean you'll be less disciplined with your child etc)

I am breastfeeding btw although I haven't ruled out formula as its hard, taking it a day at a time (my little girl is 6 weeks).

Yes they controlled for education level and socio-economic status. I doubt it would of stood any chance of being published in Archives of Disease in Childhood if they hadn't. The results were independent of those social factors, though of course parenting is far more complex than simply education and socio-economic status!!!

On another point, remember that in both groups the majority of children did not have behavioural problems. So this paper is not suggesting that BF children are well behaved and FF are badly behaved, simply that the rates of problems were a bit higher in FF vs BF in the sample group they looked at and using the methods they used to determine behavioural problems (which I am not familiar with being neither a psychologist or psychiatrist).

Mrs Venn - yes I totally see your point. I strongly believe you can bottle feed and be very attached. I don't think that bottle-feeding automatically excludes the existence of the attachment, but depending on how its done it may have an impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->