Breastfeeding and birth control

hans2009

Reaction score
I gave birth last week and my doctor suggested I get and IUD put in at my 6 week appointment. I told him my husband and I would talk about our options. Well we have and we're not comfortable with an IUD with all of the horror stories we've heard.

What are some other options that are also safe for breastfeeding?

I'm taking the mini pill. It's estrogen free and safe to use while breastfeeding. I hate taking a pill everyday, but for us it is a better fit that the alternatives.

Initially, I had planned on using an IUD, but after talking to people with experience, I was getting lots of mixed reviews and also decided it was too risky..

My doctor also said the depo shot is BF friendly, but there are a lot of unpleasant side effects (heavy periods, weight gain and others). She also said that it can sometimes take a couple of years after stopping the shot to be able to conceive again.

Keep in mind though, the mini pill is only effective if you are exclusively breastfeeding, so you may need to switch to something else later. Forgot to mention that part...

I used the mini pill as effective contraception prior to conceiving my dd1. So long as you take it at the same time every day it's effective. I think I will use it again when I have my 6 week appointment although I wad thinking about an iud too I haven't heard any horror stories though. What are the problems with it?

My sister had a really bad reaction to it and bled very heavily for months until they took it out. I have a friend who had to have hers surgically removed and they found it in her upper abdomen.

I've mainly heard stories of these two things happening (excessive bleeding and it traveling through the body)..I did a little research online and it said 1 in 100 women experience negative side effects but for me, I've had too many people I know personally have problems that I'm just not comfortable with it!

I used the mini pill. it was fine for combination feeding and as DS became a toddler and dropped feeds. I had a time on depo but found it severely affected my milk supply. My dr said it shouldn't cos 'the book' says its fine, but she did say she had of a lot of patients who felt it dropped their supply.

Depending on your body though it may take some time to become fully fertile again once you stop depo. The first time I went off it (pre-babies) it took 18 months to get a period, the second time was about 5 months.

Keep in mind though, the mini pill is only effective if you are exclusively breastfeeding, so you may need to switch to something else later. Forgot to mention that part...

I don't think that's correct - I was prescribed the mini pill as contraception many years before I had children. You just have to make sure you take it at the same time each day for it to be effective.

Exclusive breastfeeding usually works as a contraceptive itself (at least in first 6 months when feeding is very regular) however this shouldn't be relied on as while most women don't ovulate in these circumstances some do.

I fell pregnant on the combined pill AND the injection... nothing is 100% xx

I tried the mini pill but hated the hormones made my hair fall out terribly (took 2 years for my hairline to recover) and my mood miserable. I have the copper coil, had it between the boys too, best contraception I've had, not sure what horror stories you've heard but I assure you they will be rare.

I have the hormonal IUD because I ahve a history of painful and heavy periods and the Copper IUD can make this worse. I know some people dont like the effect these hormones have on their mood and bodies but if that is the case the injection and mini-pill will probably be worse as they use higher doses of the same hormones. So for me the Mireva coil is perfect. Yes there are horror stories but if you go in to it with your eyes open you can avoid most nastiness e.g you must check your coil threads are there once a month (or more) - if you cant find them you get a Dr to check it is still in the correct position. I dont know anyone whose coil has moved, let alone punctured their abdomen, but because it is always a possibility they invented the threads so you can check it yourself.

I was on the mini pill until around when DD2 turned 4 months when we switched to a hormonal iud. I haven't had any negetive side effects at all and have found it wonderful. The mini pill on the other hand even though I had no bad effects from it, it was a real pain to try and remember to take it on the strict schedule required. With DD1 I didn't use any contraception and didn't get AF until she was a year old, I definitely wouldn't rely on that though lol.

I have had Mirena now for a month and I love it. I don't have to take a pill everday and the progesterone stays right in my uterus and doesn't travel throughout my whole body. I did have light bleeding for 4 weeks but since then nothing. I had two girls I know have their's perf their uterus but it is all about who places them and how good they are at it. Every bc has side effects you just have to consider what is right for you and your life style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->