Breastfeeding and Cystitis

Jo1987

Reaction score
Hello,

Little one is two weeks old and Ive been breast and bottle feeding since birth. She latches on well but after three hours of feeding sometimes I feel a bottle just tops her up.

Today I've got cystitis and I'm in agony. I've given in and taken some cystitis relief. How long do you think I should wait until I breastfeed again? Little one is fine with a bottle but I don't want to mess up my milk supply.

Also being a social smoker before baby how long after a cigarette should I wait before feeding again? I haven't smoked since I found out I was pregnant but with so many Xmas party's without baby I worried about given in to a cigarette then not being able to breastfeed

Different Medications go into Breastmilk at different ammounts and for different ammounts of time. Some don't cross over into breastmilk at all. I would suggest you talk to your doctor about the cystitis relief medicine.
As far as cigaretts go, most people will tell you just not not smoke and how smoking is bad and horrid and wrong and all that fun stuff you already know. I will tell you that I did smoke when I breastfed DS2 and my doctor said that it is best to plan smokes after feeding and it takes around an hour for all the nicotine and other stuff to leave your breastmilk. No need to pump and dump, it will just go. My doctor also told me that it is better to breastfeed even if it hasn't been long sence last smoke then to not.... (thankfully I have quit now, so I won't have to worry with this one!) I would say that if you are going to have a social drink (3 hours for alcohol) then utilize that time for a social smoke as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->