Breastfeeding and jury duty?

WantsALittle1

Reaction score
I have just registered to vote in my state so I am expecting to get a jury duty notice very soon.

My son is exclusively breastfed, and despite lots of trying, with lots of different people, in lots of different states (awake, sleepy, super hungry, partly full), my son will not take a bottle. He freaks out when we even try, and we've tried lots of different types of bottles given to him by lots of different people (Dad, Grandparents, nurses, etc.).

If I receive jury duty, there is no negotiating: I will need to bring my son with me when I report for duty. I wanted to know what to expect and internet searches aren't very helpful. They just mention exclusions for breastfeeding mothers (not in my state, though) and that's not really what I'm looking for. I just want to be treated as an equal with the understanding that, prior to the age of one, my son and I are to be considered the same person, basically. Where I go, he must go. It's just the facts of life.

Am I going to be harassed? Will they force me to take an exclusion or will I be considered along with the other jurors and then exempted for another year if I'm not selected for the jury? If I'm selected for the jury, will I be able to bring my son with me?

I highly doubt you would be able to take your son with you if you were selected for a jury. I think they would just tell you not to report. Why do you think you will get jury duty? I have been a registered voter for 11 years and have only gotten it once. I know plenty of people who have never been called. It's not something i would worry about, and i would never even consider taking my child with me.

https://www.familyfriendlyjuryduty.org/JuryStates/JuryStates_files/page0024.htm this site seems to imply that if you are the carer of a young child and it would be detrimental to that child for you to be parted from them, you should be excused. I would think being the only person who can feed him would count as detrimental.

Now I know that's not what you asked, but I can't imagine any circumstance that would allow an infant to sit with you on the jury during a trial. I am not in Texas, but I have been to a few trials in the UK and they don't allow any disruption or noise whatsoever. A baby, even a calm one, would be a distraction. Particularly if the trial was of a sensitive nature with distressed witnesses, or one with complex evidence that needed everyone's full attention.

I should hope you aren't harassed but I would think that you will either have to take the exception or arrange alternative care for your son.

Check your state laws. I know in Iowa a breastfeeding mom is excused!

https://www.familyfriendlyjuryduty.org/JuryStates/JuryStates_files/page0024.htm

I don't know about bringing a baby on the jury with you, I think it would be considered disruptive. But you meet the exclusion criteria based on this website unless you can take the day away from your baby.

Edit: if you don't want to be excused and you can pump, maybe try being more persistent on introducing the bottle so you can be prepared if that situation arises :)

https://www.familyfriendlyjuryduty.org/JuryStates/JuryStates_files/page0024.htm this site seems to imply that if you are the carer of a young child and it would be detrimental to that child for you to be parted from them, you should be excused. I would think being the only person who can feed him would count as detrimental.

Now I know that's not what you asked, but I can't imagine any circumstance that would allow an infant to sit with you on the jury during a trial. I am not in Texas, but I have been to a few trials in the UK and they don't allow any disruption or noise whatsoever. A baby, even a calm one, would be a distraction. Particularly if the trial was of a sensitive nature with distressed witnesses, or one with complex evidence that needed everyone's full attention.

I should hope you aren't harassed but I would think that you will either have to take the exception or arrange alternative care for your son.

Just realized you posted the same link ;)

There's no way you'd be able to bring your baby to jury duty. You'd either have to be excused or show up without him.

Juries are also surprisingly not that common, so it's unlikely that you'd be called in immediately after registering for voting; they're not desperate for jury members. I've been a registered voter for 7 years and never been summoned.

Even if for whatever reason you were allowed to bring your baby when you reported for duty, they would likely dismiss you. Here they initially require 12 members but can let 2 go at any point for any reason - I'd imagine having a baby with you would be a good enough reason to let you go. Your focus will not be 100% on the case with a baby by your side.

Since being 18, I've lived in 4 different states and have registered to vote in each of them. I've only been summoned once (in Delaware) and that was after living there 3+ years. I was able to be excused with a note from my son's pediatrician stating he was breastfed.

If you are summoned you can call jury services, and even if breastfeeding isn't excusable they may be able to help you, especially if you're the primary caregiver. With just a quick google search I found that you can be excused if you're the primary caregiver in Texas (your child wouldn't have adequate supervision if you were to appear in court).

Like others have said, I'm not sure why you would think you would be called for Jury Duty right away? Chances are slim. I actually did get Jury Duty right after my daughter was born, but in Our state if you are the primary caregiver of a child under 10, you are automatically excused. There's probably something similar in your state. All I had to do was check the box on the form stating I was caring for a child, sign it and mail it back in.

OP here. I lived in California from the age of 18 - 31. I didn't register to vote until I was 26. One week from the first time I registered, I received jury duty. I had never received a single notice before that. The next time I moved, I re-registered in my new county. This same thing happened again where I immediately received a new jury notice.

I called the jury selection board and confirmed with them that jury candidacy is based on registration to vote--that's where they get the lists. So I'd never been called prior to age 26 because I'd never registered to vote. That's what worried me about this.

The reason I made this post is because an exemption usually lasts 1 year but a *dismissal* can get you freed from duty for up to TWO years. So that's why I was asking about showing up with my baby and being dismissed (which I am certain would happen, I don't think I'd ever actually be selected if I show up with a baby in tow) rather than just trying to get the exemption over the phone, KWIM?

I think that it was just coincidence that you happened to get selected right after registering both times. Yes, they do get the names from the voter registrations, but as far as I know they are selected at random.

If you happen to be called, you would automatically be excused via this exemption from here https://www.txcourts.gov/tjc/juryinfo/exemption.asp

"Have legal custody of a child younger than 12 years of age and the person’s service on the jury requires leaving the child without adequate supervision;"

An exemption means you don't even have to show up- you either mail in a form, fill out a form online, or call. Even if it only lasts a year, you are exempt until your child is 12, so you just fill out the form again the next time. There is no need to show up with your baby at all and they would probably rather you use the automatic exemption they have provided for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->