Breastfeeding and Return of Fertility

Tasha S.

Reaction score
Hi Moms!

Mama of 3, 3 years-and-under here! :hi: I have a question about the return of your fertility during breastfeeding. I got my period back at 6 months postpartum during exclusive bf'ing with my first. With the second, I induced a period using black cohosh capsules at 9 months postpartum--and I had completely weaned my little one at 8 months! So it seemed my period really didn't want to come back after baby #2! :haha: I'm 2.5 months postpartum with baby #3, and I keep getting EWCM and my cervix is open (medium height, and medium firmness--I know SHOW is most fertile). My question is did your fertility ever come back a lot sooner than previous times postpartum while you were exclusively breastfeeding? I have a hard time believing I'm fertile this early after my previous experiences, but I know the signs are pointing towards fertility. I also know that my luteal phase may not be long enough to sustain a pregnancy even if my CM is fertile. I'm just looking for some experience here!
Thanks Mamas! :kiss:

Hi Tasha S... I only have one child and my period came back at 6 weeks postpartum. My doc said it was still bleeding from birth since I bled til week four then stopped and then bled again week 6. I even logged it in my app as a period and since that bleed at 6 weeks postpartum my cycle is 26 days like clockwork and just like it was pre baby.
So YES i think you can be this fertile this early on....

Hope this helps.

I got my period back at 6 weeks too. Had another 22 days later. And am on day 14 of my cycle now waiting for my third period. My baby is EBF and about 2.5mo old. X

Wow ladies!

Smileyfaces: Our boys are basically the same age! Did your period return that quickly after your two other children? The reason I'm surprised that I might be fertile so early on is because it took a lot longer for my fertility to return after my other children. Thanks! xxx

Yes it did return just as quickly but they were formula fed. I truly expected it to stay away much longer whilst I was breastfeeding bit alas i was wrong lol

Tasha according to our tickers they are the same age...3rd November??

1st child: 6 weeks
2nd child: 9 weeks
3rd child: 8 weeks

They were all exclusively breastfed and my period always came back and was regular from then on.

With DS1 he was 10 months before I had a period however but MW and HV have told me not to rely on BFing for contraception and that you can be fertile 21 days after birth.

Freya is now 9.5 months and I've still not had a period. We still BF although she now goes long periods without feeding- especially if I'm on an 8 hour shift.

We're also relying on BF as a contraceptive. Not overly fussed if we fall pregnant.

Tasha according to our tickers they are the same age...3rd November??

YES!! 3rd of November! It was a good day! :kiss::cloud9:

HAHA! Your ticker looks one day ahead to me, but I'm sure it's because you're on UK time, and I'm on the other side of the pond! :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->