Breastfeeding and TTC???

CountryMama14

Reaction score
I was never really told how TTC while breastfeeding works. I've heard a lot of women say that while breastfeeding it took them several months to get their first post-pregnancy period. That's fine with me. My husband and I don't want to start trying for baby #2 for another 8 months or so. However, my question here is exactly how does that work? Am I not fertile until I get my period again? Or am I fertile even without my period? I want to know how careful I need to be until we're ready for baby #2.

You can ovulate before ever getting a period so if you don't want another baby just yet be sure to use birth control of some kind. I know of a few women who went baby to baby (and sometimes baby) without ever getting a period. Most of them planned it although one or two didn't.

Some women get their periods back early some get them back late. Some women are fertile right away some are not (although my OB swears women are more fertile right after having a baby). Some women will also get a warning period but not all.

I know for me it was about 9 months and I had PMS the month prior and the month of so I knew it was coming. I did ovulate before my first period as I was watching for signs and symptoms. My PMS/Ovulation symptoms were exactly the same as before but my cycles were shorter. My best friend got her first period around 4 months with zero warning signs as her symptoms all changed.

I got my first PP period both times at two months. I conceived my youngest whilst EBF.

I am now pregnant with a baby I conceived while breastfeeding! My period returned at 6 weeks postpartum even though I was exclusively breastfeeding all day and all night every 2 hours! I went straight back to every 28 days although my periods were very light. But we never used birth control and i don't believe i ovulated until ds was 7 months old. We actually had to consciously time things and i conceived when he was 8 months :)

I did find it easier this time as with my son we tried for 6-7 cycles temping and using opk. This time we just made sure to cover the week i thought i was ovulating and BAM!!!!

When you're ready to conceive, there is a lovely thread over in ntnp with moms ntnp and ttc while breastfeeding. It was a great resource :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->