breastfeeding at 13 months

sewing_mama

Reaction score
So we made it past one year of breastfeeding and I'm so happy, as we had many problems early on but I was determined to carry on!

Now that my daughter is 13 months and eats plenty of solids, I thought she'd be feeding less... My mum mentioned that she could drop down to just a bedtime feed at this age. However at the moment she feeds 3 times day, at bedtime and whenever she wakes in the night (we co sleep). She is fed to sleep so I am happy to keep the bedtime, nap time and night feeds, but possibly drop the other day time feeds. I never offer at those times, she pulls on my top & whines!

Just wondering what other bf babies this age are like & how you encourage them to drop feeds gently? I've tried offering cows milk in her cup but she's not keen. Any experiences appreciated!

My eldest was still feeding about six times a day at two years old, but quickly diminished to the bedtime feed once I got pregnant.

My 14 month old feeds religiously upon waking around 7/7.30am and from then on may feed once, twice or a dozen times through the day! He now asks for 'boo' when he wants it but if he is happily playing he doesn't seem to want it. He always has a feed after his day sleep but just tonight for the first time had a two second suck before bed and then wasn't interested whereas he normally asks for 'boo' at 6.30ish before bed at 7 (he doesn't feed overnight as he sleeps through in his own cot now).

We just sort of play it by ear and if he asks I feed him or ask if he wants lunch etc if it's close to lunch time. With my older two I actively tried to wean by distracting them when they asked but that wasn't until nearly two.

I think DS was nursing around 4 times a day at that age, plus co-sleeping nursing at night.

Now at 25 months he always nurses first thing in the morning and has at least one other nursing session during the day. I think if there was actually milk in the boobs he'd probably want to nurse a whole lot more. He has however dropped his night time feed in favour of going to his cot.

At 13 months my LO was still nursing many times a day and night. I never encouraged her to drop feeds, but if she was distracted then she could go quite a while without one :thumbup:

Thanks everyone! So it sounds like it's a normal amount for her to be feeding at this age which is good to know. I'd be happy to feed her until she's 2 if she still wants to, and I hope to try to conceive again around that time, so perhaps I should just go with the flow until then. A few people around me have been suggesting that I start to drop feeds but baby girl seems happy to carry on so I'll go with her... But maybe try offering lunch and snacks instead sometimes too.

Felix is the same age and nurses 3 times a day. He usually wakes around 4 or 5am for a feed, then has another around 6:30 and then the last one before bed. He loves his water and snacks so is happy without milk during the day. He won't take cows milk either.

At 13 months my daughter was nursing two to three times, and almost always at night. When she was sick she would nurse a bit more. Now she is 16 months and still nursing twice at night but I think we are going to drop it down to one as she seems accepting of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->