breastfeeding covers

purplesparkle

Reaction score
is it worth buying one or shall I continue to just use a shawl/scarf.

just conscious if I ever have to breastfeed in public what the best thing to use would be. at home I just use a blanket, shawl or Muslims if anyone else is in the house apart from dh.

if I do buy one which one would u guys recommend

TBH I never used anything. As long as you wear the correct top, once you have the hang of things and can latch lo on discreetly there isnt much need. When you nurse the babies head tends to cover everything up and people rarely notice you are feeding. The number of people who came up close to "have a look" before noticing i was feeding was hilarious! Unless you are uncomfortable feeding in public I wouldnt waste the money. Many places also have feeding rooms if you are out shopping and such so you shouldnt really need it.

I am quite busty so really struggle to feed discreetly, it doesn't help that I am clumsy too! so I use a Bebe Au Lait cover, my LO is also a grabber and a flailer so using a scarf would be pretty risky! Also, my LO comes off a lot due to what I suspect may be lip tie so I can't just latch him on and that be that. It is good, but makes it more obvious that you are feeding as you put on a massive curtain like apron! If the scarf is working for you I wouldn't bother switching though x

I have a huge collection of scarves and shawls I'm an addict! only by in public once which was after in a hospital after his appointment wasn't too bad until another couple with a baby kept staring over. will stick with scarves see how I get on when I have to be more daring. I do tend to wear a best top and shirt/dress with buttons now to make by easier

I just used a cheapy cover when my LO was tiny because we were still figuring things out and getting her to latch wasn't terribly discreet. I also found it eased my NIP anxiety at first. By three months my LO refused to have anything covering her and it became pointless.

I'll probably not bother with it at all next time, but as a FTM I found it helpful. I wouldn't spend loads of money on one though as like I said it got use for all of 3 months. I got mine for like $12 from www.uddercovers.com.

I have two covers and used one once. Once! It was such a faff i felt like i was drawing more attention to myself!!

I've never used a cover. It just draws more attention to what I'm doing.

Instead, I use the double-layer method or a scarf/jacket. People can't even tell I'm nursing.

I have a bebe au lait cover and I love it. It's a nice lightweight material, rolls up small enough to go in the change bag, and let's me keep an eye on my LO while he's feeding. He has a habit of pulling off while feeding so without a cover I'd struggle to feed discreetly.

I tried to use a large muslin when lo was tiny, he hated it and wouldn't feed until I took it off. I also have to be careful what tops I choose as if there's too much "bulk" he gets annoyed as he likes to get up close and personal lol. I use the 2 tops method so just wear a stretchy vest top under most things which works, my lo has recently got into a habit of pulling and moving my top so he can get at my boob more (he's very "handsy" and likes to feel my skin while he feeds, apparently that's karma according to my mum as I was the same lol!) but even when he does that people can't see much unless they come up close as his head covers most of it.
If you've got things that work then I wouldn't bother spending money on something that is essentially the same thing with a specific name, especially when your lo may change as they get older and decide they don't like the cover.

Becki x

I have rarely fed truly in public… I usually go in the car or a dressing room, but I will say that I think my LO would have just pulled down a blanket/scarf/cover.

However, I saw a woman in church today breastfeeding and she wore a stretchy dress and then put what looked like a large stretchy t-shirt type thing over it when the baby wanted to nurse. That looked perfect, at least baby couldn't just pull it off. It drew some attention to her, but I was looking at her because I was thinking of my own baby that wasn't with me. :) Most people probably didn't notice.

I have a breastfeeding poncho and LOVE it!!! I've tried regular blankets and hated it because I had to watch DD as she would make it fall when she moved too much!!. With the poncho you put around your arm and it's a ring so no way it can fall off :) Otherwise I wouldn't be comfortable BF'ing in public.

I have a cover but I don't like it. Today I breastfed without a cover in front of my pediatrician and it was kind of liberating :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->