Breastfeeding in Childrens Mediums

babies7777

Momma and ttc
Reaction score
Granted my lo is only 7 months but in all the time i have been buying her books, dvd's or even watched baby tv i only ever see the act of feeding be with a bottle in childrens products. Not talking about the content of the bottle could be ebm, formula or even water im talking about seeing a woman breast feed a child from the boob. I recently got a first words and baby signs dvd for my lo and we love to watch it together, and again the baby sign for milk is presented with the image of a woman bottle feeding a teddy. Im not saying at all that there is anything wrong with this just it would be nice to on occasion pick up a book and see the symbol for milk be a woman bf her lo.

Thoughts?

Yeah I know what you mean, I was kind of thinking the same thing today. I used a baby feeding room and the symbol on the sign was a bottle. I mean, they could hardly use a picture of a tit instead :lol: but I wondered if the room was probably used by more breast feeding mums than bottle, because it was somewhere discreet.

What makes me laugh re feeding rooms, some not all, are the chairs they put in them. Especially some of the high street stores that even sell furniture they put a chair in thats like something great great grandma has stuck up in the loft from when she was young and so boney. I do have a few go to rooms that are much better and look like they have taken time to think what would work. Tho they dont have to provide any so its good they have, just makes me laugh the ones that sell furniture.

I do agree with your overall point, but is it not the case there are two different signs for milk, depending on how it's fed?

I get what you mean. Maybe its because its easier to show what the baby is doing (i.e drinking milk/water) by drawing a woman giving a bottle than a boob? It would definately be nice though to be able to show my dd a picture of a baby feeding from a boob though because she would be able to relate.

A bit OT i guess, but my dd has become interested in dolls recently. I showed her how to give the dolly milk from a bottle, and also tried to show her how give the dolly milk from her 'boobies'. But when i did that she just gave me a look like i had gone mad. Every time i tell her her baby is thirsty and needs milk, she goes and gets the bottle, despite being breastfed. Weird.

Not sure, my dvd does the milk sign then shows a woman giving a teddy a bottle, but im really new to signing so i dont know.

I do agree with your overall point, but is it not the case there are two different signs for milk, depending on how it's fed?

Thats really interesting!! i wonder if the fact that she maybe mostly sees through books etc the bottle she associates that with milk, im no where near that stage yet but will be interesting to see what my lo thinks too at that age. I think your right about the literal sense of the milk so they can visualise it but i def agree would be nice to see a bf image occassionally.

I get what you mean. Maybe its because its easier to show what the baby is doing (i.e drinking milk/water) by drawing a woman giving a bottle than a boob? It would definately be nice though to be able to show my dd a picture of a baby feeding from a boob though because she would be able to relate.

A bit OT i guess, but my dd has become interested in dolls recently. I showed her how to give the dolly milk from a bottle, and also tried to show her how give the dolly milk from her 'boobies'. But when i did that she just gave me a look like i had gone mad. Every time i tell her her baby is thirsty and needs milk, she goes and gets the bottle, despite being breastfed. Weird.

It is much easier to have images of a bottle than of breastfeeding, it's a simpler image. There is that breastfeeding doll though.
https://thebreastmilkbaby.com/

The only TV reference I can think of was Phil and Lils mum on Rugrats breastfeeding. And Family Guy. I don't really understand why it's so scarce.

It is much easier to have images of a bottle than of breastfeeding, it's a simpler image. There is that breastfeeding doll though.
https://thebreastmilkbaby.com/

I get the need to have a breastfeeding doll, but if I'm honest it bugs me. ANY doll could be a BF doll, iykiwim? Fair enough it wouldn't have the sensors that make the gulping noises etc... but man. :(

I'd imagine that since a bottle is a more universal stereotype of feeding a baby is why most kiddos navigate towards them rather than breastfeeding. :(

The picture used in this region to designate BF-friendly places is pretty clear without a bottle:

https://www.familie-heidelberg.de/bffh/upload/wickelpunkte/STILLPUNKT.jpg

Yes I take your point. I think in terms of TV it is more diffulcult to show a baby being BF'ed as you have to get the baby to be still, the actress to have the right clothing etc so as not to show anything etc. I think that's why cartoons show it more as a pp said. In terms of other mediums I agree it could be more common.

I think the use of bottles when it comes to dolls is just easier for young children to understand and probably more fun because its a additional object for them to play with.
Plus boys play with dolls as well so putting a bottle wirh a doll means it opens it to both markets.
I was thinking the other day that you very rarely see bf portrayed on tv when I was watching a old eppisode of charmed and though "oh she is, you dont see that often" but then the cafe manager came and told her to stop and take it elswhere, bloodey typical :)

I have recently seen a Luvs commercial that featured a BF mom. also on the network my LO likes to watch (BabyFirst TV) they had a segment on BF 3 times this week.

i think bottles are just symbolic with babies :shrug:

Thomas 'breastfeeds' his teddy, which is quite amusing. He says babies need booby milk. He doesn't remember being breastfed though and is horrified at the idea.

I like that sign above. Simple and clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->