Breastfeeding in public help

Stash777

Mommy to Teagan Noelle
Reaction score
I have only BF once in public, but it took me a while to find a discrete place to do so and I felt so bad making Teagan wait until I found a place before I could feed her. I am really modest and go in a different room at home (when my stepson is in the living room) and when visiting others to BF because I feel uncomfortable doing so uncovered. I've tried using a nursing cover which does have boning at the neck, but I still can't really see what I'm doing since I need to help her latch on correctly (she was about 4 weeks early), though she doesn't seem to mind being covered. How does everyone else BF in public? Is there a nursing cover that seems to work best?

It gets easier with experience. :flower:

Although I still struggle sometimes, especially since LO has started getting distracted by things. Pretty sure I flashed my boob the first day at Moms group. :haha:

I use a Booby Trapper cover. It is double rimmed so that I can see LO really easily. Even having one rim helps. Does yours have a rim?

Honestly, I just get on with it. When she was really tiny I would cover her with a blanket but I find it just draws more attention - partly because the blanket is a dead giveaway and partly because she doesn't like to be covered.

The best way I have found is to wear 2 tops - 1 to pull up and the other down - minimal exposure. Once baby is on everything is covered. Also practising doing it discreetly at home will help. If you can get comfortable doing it around family it may make it easier. Also, do you have breast feeding support groups near you? I go to one most weeks and it's a really good place to build your confidence.

I think it's such a shame that there's this embarrassment around breast feeding in public, I know the first time I fed DD out and about I was actually trembling I was so anxious about exposing myself! But I've never had a bad experience, most of the time I don't think people realise what I'm doing, and my confidence has improved with time as i've gotten used to it and also as we've gotten better at latching.

Other than that try to get to know where has good facilities so if LO starts to show signs of hunger you can head there straight away. I know in my town for example there's a nice nursing room in debenhams where you can lock the door. There's a chair, hand wash facilities and baby changing. At least if you know where to go you're not taking time trying to find somewhere - you can just head straight over.

Honestly?
Find somewhere to sit, didn't care where a coffee shop is always nice though.
Pull top up or down and latch baby. Wear a cardi or use a muslin if you feel you're very exposed...
And that's it.
Xx

You just have to do it. I think I nearly had a panic attack the first few times. I didn't use a cover on principle though, so I made myself just do it. At first, LO used the nipple shield, and had some issues (he was a preemie, 6.5 weeks early), so it was especially difficult. I would try and find an "out of the way" place, it helped. For a while, we could feed anywhere. Now I'm back to finding "out of the way" places, because LO likes to unlatch and turn around and watch, leaving my nipple just exposed!

It gets easier when you do it, and you realize that NO ONE IS WATCHING, and if they are, there is something wrong with them, not you!

I would quit hiding at your home, it will be the easiest place to get used to being around other people. There is only shame associated with breastfeeding when we feel shameful about it. There is NO shame in feeding your child. Your stepson will grow up thinking breastfeeding is something shameful to be hidden if you keep hiding it, and so he may pass those feelings of shame and stuff on to his future wife. I would suggest especially nursing regularly around children, so the culture of shame surrounding the natural feeding of infants is not carried on into the next generation.

I second the two tops idea, that's what I do just pull one up and one down. Most people don't even notice I'm nursing her unless they walk straight up and stare down at her.

I don't have advice but I know that once I have a baby I will definitely breastfeed and I will just whip it out wherever I am if baby is hungry!
Yeah! done deal....;)

Do you know any other mums who are breastfeeding? With DD1 a load of us used to sit in Starbucks and feed together, some using scarves, some with covers, one girl used to just wop 'em out. We'd met at a bumps and babies thing at the local children's centre so we'd pretty much all seen each other's boobs by then! I found it a massive help, as you know you're not the only one.

I use two tops. One tank one normal. You cant see anything and the nipple is covered by los face. And i do it in his wrap and keep walking around shopping while holding his head.

Tank top under another top. Or a scarf if you can pull your top down. It's the easiest way imo.
The amount of times people have come up to me to see LO, not realised I've been BF and then been really awkward when they get close enough to see. Just makes me laugh :haha:

I also use 2 tops. Pull one up and the other down and it looks like you're just holding a baby. I think 99% of people don't even know I'm breastfeeding.

See this pics I found( not my blog):
https://www.themodestmomblog.com/2012/05/nursing-modestly-minus-the-nursing-cover/

It gets easier with experience. :flower:

Although I still struggle sometimes, especially since LO has started getting distracted by things. Pretty sure I flashed my boob the first day at Moms group. :haha:

I use a Booby Trapper cover. It is double rimmed so that I can see LO really easily. Even having one rim helps. Does yours have a rim?

It does have a rim, but it seems to collapse and if there isn't light shining directly down on us, I can't see a thing. She is finally starting to latch herself without needing help, so that may actually solve that problem. :)

You just have to do it. I think I nearly had a panic attack the first few times. I didn't use a cover on principle though, so I made myself just do it. At first, LO used the nipple shield, and had some issues (he was a preemie, 6.5 weeks early), so it was especially difficult. I would try and find an "out of the way" place, it helped. For a while, we could feed anywhere. Now I'm back to finding "out of the way" places, because LO likes to unlatch and turn around and watch, leaving my nipple just exposed!

It gets easier when you do it, and you realize that NO ONE IS WATCHING, and if they are, there is something wrong with them, not you!

I would quit hiding at your home, it will be the easiest place to get used to being around other people. There is only shame associated with breastfeeding when we feel shameful about it. There is NO shame in feeding your child. Your stepson will grow up thinking breastfeeding is something shameful to be hidden if you keep hiding it, and so he may pass those feelings of shame and stuff on to his future wife. I would suggest especially nursing regularly around children, so the culture of shame surrounding the natural feeding of infants is not carried on into the next generation.

The reason why I go to another room at home is because my DH is uncomfortable with me bf in front of his son (he's 13). Also, my dad is really uncomfortable with it as well when I'm first latching her on. As long as it is covered, it's fine. I just have a hard time latching her while covering up at the same time. I'll just have to practice it at home more.

Do you know any other mums who are breastfeeding? With DD1 a load of us used to sit in Starbucks and feed together, some using scarves, some with covers, one girl used to just wop 'em out. We'd met at a bumps and babies thing at the local children's centre so we'd pretty much all seen each other's boobs by then! I found it a massive help, as you know you're not the only one.

I don't right now, though I know it would help a lot. A friend of mine is due any day and she's going to try bf, so doing it together should help us both.

I also use 2 tops. Pull one up and the other down and it looks like you're just holding a baby. I think 99% of people don't even know I'm breastfeeding.

See this pics I found( not my blog):
https://www.themodestmomblog.com/2012/05/nursing-modestly-minus-the-nursing-cover/

I do think the two tops that most suggested will be the way to go. Though I might just invest in that undercover mama - the pictures also helped me visualize it much better on how to do it.

Thank you ladies for the suggestions and the support. :hugs:

Other people will get more comfortable with it. I bf in front of all family, and in my own house there's no way v I'd move to another room xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->