Breastfeeding in the SCBU

Kitty23

Mummy to Poppy and Noah
Reaction score
Just a quick question. My twins are still in SCBU its been 11 days now :( and we haven't got a date for them coming home yet.

I'm expressing every 3 hours and my milk covers most of their feeds ( tube fed at the mo) I put them to the breast several times in the two visits a day I do. But the nurses at the unit keep telling me I really need to stay in the hospital full time to breast feed them. I really really don't want to stay any longer in hospital. I feel so guilty for not staying with them though :( So has anyone else done what I'm doing? Expressing and breast feeding when they visit and still staying at home? Hope that makes sense lol, my brains gone to mush since I had them :) xxx

Hi hun. I expressed for Evie for several months, and when she was able to suck at around 30wks occasionally breast fed her. I only stayed over at the hospital for the few days before she came home - during which time I exclusively breastfed her.

I'm guessing that they want to see you establish full breast feeds before the twins are discharged? Maybe as well because I had a child at home, they didn't expect me to stay in for any longer. Are they bottlefeeding the babies when you're not there? They did with Evie, and her switching between the two was never a problem.

Don't feel like I'm helping much here - sorry. I will say that I totally understand you not wanting to stay in, and I can't see why this is a problem. Have you asked them when bubbas might be able to come home? x

Hi
Congratulations on your gorgeous twins.
I was in a similar position to you although I must be honest, I was desperate to stay in the hospital and wasn't allowed. I had 2 nights in with Poppy before she came home but other than that I just spent from 8am till 9pm at the hospital so that I could be there to b/feed her whenever she was alert enough.
I was the same, expressing and/or feeding every 3 hours for her tube feeds.

You shouldn't feel any pressuere to be there more than you are. I know how you feel, used to drive me mad being sat in the room just watching Poppy sleep most of the time but I was lucky I had nothing to be at home for. Won't be quite so easy if it happens again this time as I will want to be with Poppy too.

Hopefully it won't be long until the LOs are home where they belong :hugs:

Yep. I did it. I physically couldn't get to the hospital myself in the first 4 weeks as I couldn't drive so I had to wait til my husband got home from work. We went once a day and for about an hour or so for that time. When I was able to drive I would still go once a day, but stay for 2 feeds maximum. I did do one whole day after 4 weeks but got so frustrated because they kept saying she was too tired for a breastfeed. I just couldn't have dealt with being there all day, every day. I needed to heal physically and emotionally and sitting looking at her for hours on end - especially when she was in the incubator isn't something I felt I could do. Plus - it was blimmin roasting in our unit - an hour and I was melting! And there was no parent room, or even anywhere to get coffee other than the overpriced canteen. I'd have been skint!

In the end, out of the whole 6 weeks, I think I did 3 full (ish) days. When I wasn't there they tried every feed with the bottle but if she didn't take it, they topped her up with the tube.

Abby successfully established breastfeeding and we are still at it at 11 months.

Don't let them bully you or make you feel guilty for doing what feels best for you. Your twins are being well looked after and you need to be in the right place when they finally come home.

This is what made me give up and stick to expressing :( I wish there was an easier way, but I admire you girls!

I didn't breastfeed but there were quite a few other mums in the unit who did. In the unit we were in the policy seemed to be that the mums breastfed when they were there but they were cup fed if they weren't. They were only expected to stay to establish BF when the babies were a few days off being discharged....so is it possible that Noah & Poppy may be able to go home soon and this is why they want you to stay in?

Yeah that reminds me, with Poppy they just wanted her to be able to demand feed before she was allowed home. So overnight when they wouldn't let me be there, as long as she woke and demanded a feed before her tube feed was due, they would cup feed her, and that still counted if you see what I mean.

So I don't see why they can't do that. But like the others say, maybe they are wanting to discharge them soon and want to make sure you're all happy with the feeding etc before they do.

thanks girls :)

I think they want to make sure the twins can properly breast feed before they are allowed home. And they don't want to bottlefeed them if I'm trying to breastfeed.So after talking to the nurses today I am going in to stay until they are home, I'm going in this evening. Noah is crying all night and looking to breast feed so I can't have him being unhappy. Its a small sacrifice to make and I am feeling a bit better after the c section.

I'm looking forward to it now because the babies will be in the room with me and feeling so nervous as I'll be looking after them both by myself! But fingers crossed they should be out next week! xxx

Why won't they bottle feed? Abby did both and there was absolutely no problem. As far as our SCBU was concerned, nipple confusion is a myth.

That's great Kitty23. Am sure you will be fine and it'll be so great to finally get them home xx

I didnt breastfeed but I was like you.. I didnt like staying at the hospital and I used to go up in the beginning twice a day and then when they were about 3 weeks old I started going 3 times a day and in between I used to go home, eat, have a shower and get the girls stuff washed, ironed and dried and then go back up! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->