Breastfeeding newborn when you have other children?

sept2010

Mummy and expecting
Reaction score
Just a quick question

How did u find the marathon feeds with another toddler/preschooler?

I was quite lucky my husband was off work the first few weeks so was able to entertain toddler, then he would have big feeding sessions at night when toddler had gone to bed.

My 17 month old currently eats a lot of marshmallows... and watches a lot of Justin's house...

Generally, she copes pretty well, but I do resort to treats if she is screaming at me for attention and I just can't give it.

I also have a dummy for LO, to try and pacify her with if I just can't quite start/finish a feed yet.

I also always try to feed LO when DD1 is having her nap.

Single mum here and I found breast feeding my youngest while my son was two was far easier for me. I didn't have to bother with bottles and could just feed. Zane was very good and patient.

Suppose its all about keeping her entertained then... to be honest she has been quite patient when im doing baby stuff... which is pretty much 24/7 at mo. OH has been off work and have mum n sis stayin with me fr a few weeks aswell... which should ease the transition to when its just us 3 at home during the day...she is due to start nursery soon for a few hrs a day aswell so hoping that will help.

U could make a feeding time box, I wish I did with zane. Full of colouring books, books and only certain toys she can have out while ur feeding.
Snuggle up and have DVD days.
Imagine if u bottle fed correctly making every bottle fresh, how much time that would take.
It will get easier :)

My 21 month old luckily is very good at entertaining herself so she's really good when I need to feed the baby. If she gets a little upset I ask her to bring me a book to read or some toys to play with and if she's being extra tantrumy when I'm feeding then I turn on the TV.

My DH had 2 weeks off when dd2 was born so he entertained dd1 moat of the time. I found it harder than she did as I missed her so much - and still do. Shes pretty good and amuses herself with toys and books etc plus i have Peppa pig on A LOT for her if shes bored!

I get her involved as much as poss y oo by bringing me nappies etc so she feels important, that way she doesnt seem to mind when I cant play as am feeding the baby.

Thanx ladies. I like the box idea..maybe i should put one together for when OH has gon bak to wrk and my fam have gone back home. I have help for the next few weeks hopefully.
I do try to make her feel she is important and get her to help me with nappy changes etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->