Breastfeeding or bottle

Amyjon

Reaction score
Help I am a first time mum due in a couple of weeks
I have no idea to breastfeed or bottle
Will I even be able to breastfeed my friend couldn't do it
Help

Nothing is set in stone yet; if you want to breastfeed then give it a try! There are very few medical reasons why breastfeeding doesn't work but lots of cultural reasons (like our expectations of how babies should behave and what they need and what is bad for them etc.). Try to find out what support networks there are in your area and make links with them now (are there any groups for support and information etc.). Also do a little bit of reading about newborns, how they act, why they do what they do and what is normal breastfeeding behaviour. You can overload yourself with tips and tricks for what to do when things aren't going well but it's easiest to start with what is normal and means everything is fine and seek support if you find it a struggle. Many women experience no problems breastfeeding at all!

Thank you for replying
Can I ask does it hurt
And what do people do in public places

Oh sorry just to add my friends little boy had something called tongue tie and she said that it really hurt her is that a common thing for babies to get
Sorry I'm clueless and my midwife is not much help

Tongue tie can cause real problems but it is reversible with a simple procedure. Difficult to say how common it is as some are never diagnosed and sometimes other problems are wrongly attributed to it.

In terms of pain, it is common for it to be tender in the first weeks but if it is painful to the point of wanting you to delay or give up feeds then you should seek help because pain, although common, should not be thought of as just a normal part of breastfeeding. Nipples are very sensitive after birth due to hormones BUT if a baby is opening wide enough to they should be sucking on breast tissue and the nipple should be away from gums their hard palate. This can take a few weeks to get right at every feed.

Oh and public feeding really depends on your own feelings. Personally I was happy to feed wherever whenever (once I had the hang of it) as often people can't even tell you are doing it. However there are covers you can wear or combinations of clothing which hide almost everything.

I would definitely say start out giving breastfeeding a shot as it's easy to switch to formula if you decide it's not for you, and it's much harder to switch to breastfeeding if you've started out formula feeding.

It would be helpful for you to research newborn feeding habits before your LO is born so that you know what to expect. A lot of people stop breastfeeding because their baby is feeding all the time and they don't think they're making enough milk, but it's very normal for newborns to want to feed frequently.

You might also want to look up potential problems you might face while breastfeeding so that you know what to look for and how to deal with them if they do arise. This forum is a great resource if you read through some of the threads, I also recommend kellymom.com.

I found that breastfeeding did hurt at first but it shouldn't be unbearable. If you find that it is you could benefit from seeing a lactation consultant or nurse to make sure everything is okay with the latch or to check for tongue tie as you've already mentioned.

Once we got the hang of it I found breastfeeding to be WAY easier than making up bottles. I also just nursed my LO in public, it took some practice to figure out the most discreet method and to feel totally comfortable with it, but it sure was nice not to have to haul around bottles.

I bottle fed first 3 of mine. I wasnt even going to breastfeed my 4th but decided to do first feed and go from there. I am loving it and it was sooooo much easier first few nights. I cant believe I never tired. Also stops vistors hogging baby as of course they need mum ;-)

I bottle fed first 3 of mine. I wasnt even going to breastfeed my 4th but decided to do first feed and go from there. I am loving it and it was sooooo much easier first few nights. I cant believe I never tired. Also stops vistors hogging baby as of course they need mum ;-)

Absolutely agree. I didn't breastfeed my first two, didn't even try but have been breastfeeding my youngest for nine months. It's so much easier than faffing with bottles.

I found it painful at first but with persevereance and support we got there!

CALL or GO to La Leche League!!! PLEASE! It is FREE breastfeeding/Pumping help! You can even go while pregnant.

I formula fed my 1st, didnt know better. pumped & formula fed #2 and then breastfed #3. :thumbup:

ETA: There may be many reasons why your friend couldnt but that doesnt mean you cant. Tongue tie is a real thing and can interfere sometimes with nursing but not always. No it shouldnt hurt to nurse and you can nurse in public because the law ( in USA) says you can!

I wouldn't say it hurt, but it was uncomfortable for the first 5 days or so, but not so bad that I didn't want to feed her or that I dreaded the next feed. It's just a lot of action that your nipples aren't used to so they just need a few days to get used to so much 'use'.

I always just nursed in public, I tried using a nursing cover but I found it drew way more attention to me than if I just nursed without it. I got a bunch of nursing tops where they have a bit of an opening that just exposes enough for baby to be able to feed. You can also wear a nursing tank top underneath a regular shirt, then you just pull your one top up and expose your breast out of the nursing tank and no real skin is exposed.

Try to get to a LeLeche League meeting or look up local breastfeeding groups or a local lactation consultant and go before your baby is born. My hospital did a breastfeeding information session when I was at the hospital having the baby and I though it was quite helpful. There are when some great informational videos on youtube that show how to latch and how to make sure baby has a good latch. After baby is born make sure you ask for help in the hospital if you are struggling and make sure you are comfortable with feeding before you go home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->