Breastfeeding premie issues

raisin

Mom to 2 wonderful boys
Reaction score
My lo was born at 35 weeks and after 2 days formula cup feeding we have managed to establish breastfeeding really well, in terms of technique etc

The problem is that he feeds great during the day, every 2hrs for 10mins then sleeps like an angel. But at night he wants to feed nonstop and I have basically been up with him from 12-6am before he starts to ease off. During his night feeds he is really fussy and refuses to be put in his moses basket. He falls asleep on me though. Its so tiring and I dont know how much more I can do this.

Maybe this is normal behaviour? Is it cause he's premie? I dont want to stop bf. Can anyone share their experience?

I think this is just a breast fed baby thing rather than a premmie thing. Mine used to cluster feed too but lucky for me it was from 10am for 4-5 hours. I can't really think of advice other than to suggest that I don't think you would find a bottle a problem but giving him one at night with ebm in might fill him up a bit quicker and push the cluster feed back to morning when you are going to be better rested.

Thats a normal BF baby thing hun, iv not got much advice. Have you posted in the BF section?

I agree that this sounds like pretty normal breastfed baby behaviour. I was lucky with Thomas in that he would cluster feed all evening so I would just curl up on the sofa with the remote control and feed him for hours.

It will get better with time. Try offering a bottle of EBM before bed to see if he will take more.

Also, have you tried waiting 20 mins of so after he falls asleep on you before trying to put him in the moses basket. This could mean that he falls into a deeper sleep and is less likely to be disturbed by the transfer. Good luck. x

This was my night last night to a tee. LO's been home for 5 nights and last night cluster fed from about 6pm through till about 7am. I find that my little bubba falls asleep upright but wakes up as soon as you put him an the moses basket, and possets anytime up to being changed before his next feed. My community nurse thinks it's probably a bit of reflux as little babies' stomachs aren't as strong at first so all the acid and milk can wash up and down. We're trying holding him upright for 45 mins after a feed (knackering when he's feeding every hour anyway!) angling his bed, and just sort of accepting that it's hard for us but it's horrible for him, so we're just trying our hardest to be patient and make him comfortable if we can.

Those nights are horrible though eh? Really struggle to see the point of breastfeeding at 4am but the hope is that after these first few weeks of a starving "newborn" it'll be far easier to pop out the boob at 4am than to sterilise and make up formula.

Good luck!

Ah...I remember. My son also was born at 35 weeks. Nurses told me to keep getting him up every 2 hours or so to feed. He started using me as his nook. I pumped a little and started having my husband bottle feed at night. Took about a week and there was no more mom at night to use the breast as a nook. Just a thought. I believe then he only got up like twice a night and I got way more sleep, plus got more milk. :) Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->