Breastfeeding stopping ability to ovulate/conceive?

Peppermint25

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, however wondered if any of you breastfeeding mamas could advise. I got my contraceptive implant removed 4 weeks ago due to wanting to try for another baby. I have always hated the thing and wanted it out days after getting it in. The doctors were reluctant to take it out and persuaded me to stay on it. Anyways, I still have had no period and am getting frustrated. I have had no periods since being on it which the doctors all say is very common. Have tested and all negatives. Does anyone know how long it takes to start menstrating again? My daughter is 2 years old and still breastfeeds to sleep at night and first thing in the morning. Could this be delaying my period and ability to ovulate/ conceive? Should I or do I need to push full weaning? Any advice would be great as I'm getting very frustrated and impatient!

X

It could be delaying it or it could just take a little while after implant is removed. It varies a lot. For me my periods returned a month after my son dropped to two feeds a day (morning and bed). I know others whose periods returned early on despite exclusively bf day and night.

If you're wanting to conceive you could try dropping one of those feeds and wait another month or two - that might be enough if you don't want to fully wean. Or wait it out a bit longer. 4 weeks isn't long.

May I ask why the doctor didn't want to take it out, especially if you want to have another baby?

May I ask why the doctor didn't want to take it out, especially if you want to have another baby?

When I first got it put in I had slight spotting and with it came a massive dip in my supply. This happened twice and I told the doctor a few weeks after getting it done I wanted it out. My doc assured me it would settle down and that they really weren't keen to take implants out due to the sheer time and cost of it, as well as to get it out a doctor and nurse must be present. The waiting list was 4 weeks so I did as they said and tried to wait it out a bit. It did settle down but I hated it and hated no periods and having it in my arm. I guess I wasn't sure what other contraceptive method to use. Anyways time went by then I wanted it out and got told I had to make an appointment first to discuss my reasons to get it out then another one to actually get it removed. Which this time was a6 week wait. It was a right carry on as the first appointment was a total waste of time as I just told them the exact same as what I did on the phone. Getting time off work for appointments is a nightmare so the whole process took months!

Never again!x

In the end is actually went to a family planning drop in clinic I found out about as I gave up with the awkward times and long wait at my GP. So glad I did x

My cycle took about 6-8w to return when I had my implant out years ago. Breastfeeding seems to affect everyone differently, my cycle starts to return when solid foods are introduced but for others it can be much sooner or later. There's a lovely ntnp while breastfeeding baby group in the ntnp section if you're looking for buddies :)

Good luck hope you get your bfp ASAP x

It sounds to me like it's more due to the hormonal changes due to the implant, id say wait a couple of months and see of your cycle doesn't return rather than completely stopping breastfeeding. Unless you and your daughter both feel it's time to wean.

My cycle returned a couple of weeks after night weaning my 10 month old boy. I fell pregnant two weeks after that. I know everyone is different, but I do think it's worth trying first and seeing how things go without the implant a bit longer.

All the best. Xx

Also I'm still breastfeeding A LOT, even at night again as the little fella has a cold.

Breastfeeding is only a reliable contraceptive during the first 6months. One feeds drop to accommodate food then each woman's body reacts differently. I know people who conceived still feeding their toddler 4 times a day and others who had given up bf three months before they got a period. Add in the hormones of the implant and your body won't know where it is at!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->