breastfeeding woes!

krisum

Reaction score
My lo is 3 weeks old tomorrow. We have had quite a bit of trouble with feeds, including
-pain!
-ulcerations on my nipples
-latch issues including clicking, pulling away from the breast, not opening her mouth wide or sticking out her tongue
-very slow weight gain. She only hit birth weight at 16 days old and it took finally supplementing with each Feed to get her there. That decision was made after she only gained 50g in a week. (Should be 170)
-very long feeding sessions. She is on the breast at least an hour. Then it's 10-15 minutes to take her bottle and then 10 minutes of pumping. Not to mention burping and comforting back to sleep.
-lack of supply now due to poor latch and inability to effectively transfer milk. Only able to pump about 1/2 an ounce after each Feed. Not enough to maintain a healthy weight gain for the Lil miss.
All of this while still playing wife to my hardworking husband , stepmother to my 8 year old step son and dog mom to my 2 pups and taking care of most housework , grocery shopping, cooking and fitting in visits with family and friends

My only saving grace being with supplementing she sleeps well at night with 4 hours between feeds. Though we have been Co sleeping to achieve this which was not my plan!

It was finally discovered after several visits with the public health nurses die to these issues that she has a pretty significant lip tie. Many people had checked for a tongue tie due to her latching issues and not found one but it took until nearly 2 weeks old to find the lip tie.

Today we have an appointment with a breastfeeding specialty clinic to hopefully get her tie clipped and be on our way to a healthy and haooy breastfeeding journey for both of us! I will keep everyone updated for anyone else through similar struggles.

So annoying it takes so long to get these things diagnosed. Hope your appointment went well, and things get a bit easier for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->