Breathing Issues with Niamh

Pyrrhic

Reaction score
I posted a few days ago about Niamh being ill.

For weeks now she's been breathing in a funny way. Actually, when I think about it she's done it from birth. She's always had very raspy breathing, which they told me was due to mucus after the birth but surely that can't still be the case? She often gulps a lot like she's struggled to get enough air. Often when she goes down to sleep she'll wake up after a few minutes and start gulping rapidly and crying. This happens for about 1 hour before she'll eventually tire herself out so she'll sleep. Today she also had very rapid, raspy breathing.

I kept telling people she wasn't breathing properly (OH, Mum, Health Visitor, etc) but they all acted like I was over reacting as a first time Mum. Tonight my Mum babysat for 2 hours and called me in a panic about Niamh's breathing, and rang a friend who is a nurse for advice. She's had four children and said she's never worried a much as she had looking after Niamh and said she'd never heard a baby breath like that.

Has anyone got any experience of anything like this? Someone suggested to me that it could be related to colic or reflux, which would fit in with how sick she's been recently. I have the health visitor coming tomorrow and Mum is sticking around to help me put my foot down.

Niamh's been awake now since 6pm as every time she falls asleep she wakes up again gulping for air. She's not really been sick today though.

Sorry i have no idea about being colic related etc as my two have never suffered, but if the HV dismisses your concerns i would definatly make a appointment with you GP x

She's still awake :( I am running on three hours sleep from last night and I'm wondering how many more nights like this I can take.

:hugs: Hun have you tried elevating Niamh for an hour in her bouncer after feeds and roll a towel under her mattress to see if that helps. Katie & Joe both had reflux and were very noisy breathers. :hug:

I have that problem with maxim and its related to his reflux ..not much you can do other then reflux meds and tilt her bed so her head is elevated

Yeah I was going to suggest trying to tilt her bed. We used two phone books at the head of Hannah's crib the first three months.

Thanks girls. I'm going to take her to the GP tomorrow to see what he thinks. She co-sleeps so I'm not quite sure how to elevate the bed.

I'm sorry to keep posting for advice, I'm just so worried about her. Is it ok to let newborns cry it out sometimes? She's been awake all day now (since 9am) and has only had one, 1 hour sleep and lots of 5 mins cat naps. She's crying now and nothing I am doing is helping. Ive tried feeding her, winding her, rocking her, talking to her, changing positions, even leaving her lying next to me. I've started using two different types of colic medication in case it's that. Nothing is helping. She won't sleep, her breathing isn't great. I'm so stressed out at the minute between this and waiting for her CF test results. :(

I have no advice for you but just wanted to say i hope everything works out for you and im sending you hugs xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babygiftcoll
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->