Breech baby at 36 weeks - Advice & Opinions please.

Lucyjo81

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I had my midwife appt today, she done all the usual and felt baby's position. She was pretty sure he has turned breech and sent me to the hospital. It was confirmed by scan that baby is now breech.

I go back next week (37 weeks) for a growth & presentation scan. If he is still breech then I have 3 choices: - A breech Delivery, to have an ECV or be booked in for a section at 39 weeks. The Dr said there is only a 30% chance the ECV will work as his bum is so far down in my pelvis. He did say I have the choice to refuse & book the C-Section.

I dismissed the breech delivery as i had an awful labour experience with my daughter & didn't cope too well with the psychological side of things afterwards so would not want to have to go through anything slightly similar.

I'm worried about the ECV as i've read it is very painful and i already suffer with agonising SPD. My pain threshold is very low.

It looks like the C-Section may be the best option but don't want to dismiss anything until i've done some research and heard peoples stories.

Would love to hear advice/opinions from you ladies, whether you've had an ECV/Section or not. I'm just feeling so deflated right now :(

Hi.

I had this exact same problem with my DD she was breech and we had the scan to confirm it,they offered me the ECV but I refused it as I figured if she is breech she's happy that way, I didn't like the idea of someone forcing her to turn around (just my opinion on that though)

They booked me for a section but she turned last minute all by herself.

I'm in a similar position at nearly 34wks: baby is breech oblique (so wrong way up and at an angle). If it doesn't move, I won't be allowed to try for a natural birth since there's a risk of cord prolapse when the baby isn't fully breech/correct way around.

I'm really upset too about the thought of a section. I've had two vaginal births and although the first wasn't particularly nice, the second was lovely and straightforward, and I'd been really hoping for a repeat experience.

I'm seeing a chiropractor next week who is apparently great at helping: it's the Webster technique they use to turn breech babies, so you could find someone who knows about that.

There's also the Spinning Babies website which has some positions/exercises which might help.

Personally I will be refusing an ECV. It's a pretty controversial procedure I think: some women claim that having an ECV caused stillbirth or led to a very traumatic emergency section. Google it and you'll find out more. For me, even the smallest risk of that isn't worth it.

Since finding out the baby's presentation though, I've had lots and lots of other mums tell me how their baby turned at the last minute, so there is still hope. If you do schedule a section try and get it as close to your due date as possible to give the baby the maximum amount of time to turn of its own accord and hopefully allow you to give birth vaginally.

My ds was free moving up until I was due and I had presentation scan at 41 weeks - he was head down but not engaged.
Neither ecv nor c section were mentioned at all I was given positions to try to turn him.
I spent about 5 weeks on my hands and knees :haha:
Xx

I would go all out and try everything you can before the ECV. Chiropractic treatment can work (as someone mentioned, the Webster Treatment), and acupuncture can help babies turn, too, especially if it's combined with moxibustion. See if there is a prenatal acupuncturist in your area. Also try the spinningbabies pelvic tilt techniques, and I heard that swimming can also help. Good luck to you! Sending you head-down vibes!

Try leaning over your ball, rocking backwards and forwards on all fours too, and try sitting up straight all the time.

I hope he turns for you x

Get on the Spinning Babies website, use a ball, go swimming!

My baby was breech at 37 weeks, I was booked in for ECV.. Went to hospital and he managed to turn himself to head down position right before appointment! X

Thanks ladies :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he does decide to turn, if not, it's not the end of the world, I just want him here safe & sound. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->